Dunedin and Otago peninsular


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Dunedin
March 6th 2009
Published: March 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The "little Edinburgh" of Otago. Quick tour round - interesting architecture - especially the well known railway station; Cathedral in light Oamuru stone' and yet another Museum (The Otago Settlers museum - good collection of Transport items as well as the settlers info).

Campsite shared with car enthusiasts attending a car show next door - mainly american cars Chevvys etc.

Otago Peninsular -

Went out late evening to remote beach to watch (from hide) yellow-eyed penguins coming ashore - saw one Fiordland crested penguin and one yellowed eyed one + a sea-lion! The beach was amazing - soft blown sand-dunes stretching way inland. (pics to follow)

Castle Lanarch gardens - restored from overgrown state by current owner - 40 years work - now superb and in a fantastic setting.

At Taiaroa Head at the end of the Otago peninsular we watched a number of Royal Albatrosses soaring in from the sea and along the cliffs - one made a really close and low pass over us - great to see.

Next to Penguin Reserve to see more yellow-eyed penguins up close and personal. Mainly juveniles, some adults in the moulting stage when they have to stay ashore for up to 4 weeks until they have new waterproof feathers! No fish to eat during that time!

To be completed

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 50; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb