Someone stole our cucumber!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Oamaru
December 6th 2008
Published: December 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Of all the things in the fridge to steal, why the cucumber? It wasn't even a whole cucumber, they put the other half back.

Oamaru is very...Victorian. The buildings, the back streets, everything in the center is Victorian-esk. Obviously the further out you go the more normal it is. The day we arrived our hostel was holding a 'pot luck' night. Basically anyone who wants to join in brings some food, and everyone shares. So if everyone brings desserts, thats what you have. That didn't happen. Instead, we brought a big tub of spag bol, and the list of other food was... Japanese curry (very, very nice! Not spicy, just aromatic), salad, a pasta broccoli thing, burgers, steak, cookies, apple pies, dips and biscuits and brandy snaps. Its a good idea. It makes everyone meet everyone else.

The next day, we went into town for the Christmas parade. It was good, so much longer than the ones at home, but like the ones at home the day of the parade and the day of the festival are separate, though only by one day. Though the one at home, the festival that is, i think is better. There were games
PenguinsPenguinsPenguins

They run funny...
and stuff but there wasnt any bands playing, at least there wasnt while we were there.

We went to see the penguins. They are sooo cute! We were told we couldn't take pictures of the blue penguins but i got a couple anyway while no one was looking. There was a big seal snoozing at the top of the ramp and the penguins were very wary of it but it had barely moved the whole time we were there. We decided not to and see the yellow penguins that day as it would mean walking another 6km on top of the daily total of 13km already. Basically we were just being lazy. We never did make it back there though, so we didnt see the yellow penguins.

Again the computer is slow and i cant be bothered loading more photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The HostelThe Hostel
The Hostel

Chillawhile backpackers is more like a home than a hostel, its great.
wooo!! UKwooo!! UK
wooo!! UK

We are represented in the christmas parade


Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb