New Zealand - The South Island - Part II


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Oamaru
November 3rd 2008
Published: November 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Hello all,

We have come to the end of our Kiwi adventure and are jetting off to pastures new tomorrow - Australia!! But what an amazing time we have had in New Zealand. We had felt a little disappointed not to have had a little more time on the North Island, but the South Island has been as amazing as everyone had told us it would be, and it was great to have two weeks to truly explore every inch of it!

We were at the Foz glacier when we last left off, and from there we took the most incredible scenic route through the Haast Pass towards Wanaka and Queenstown. Wanaka was a gorgeous little town on the shores of the lake - (apologies for having no photos of the town, I left the digital camera in the campervan so will have to wait until Albert's film pics get developed!) We moved onto Queenstown the next day, and to the adventure capital of the world!! As we had already enjoyed the thrills of a skydive, no other activities really looked that appealling - however, we did have a ride on Shotover Jet - a very high-speed jet boat that takes you on a crazy 30 minute ride through narrow rock-filled rapids and performs 360 degree turns when you least expect it! After a quick bowling trip, we left Queenstown on the road to Te Anau and the area of Milford Sound.

Milford Sound was incredible - we couldn't believe our luck as the weather had been terrible for most of the South Island, but on the day we booked our Nature Explorer boat cruise on Milford Sound the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. As you can see from the pictures, this is an incredible part of the world, and we wont forget floating through the Sound - overhanging mountains and waterfalls at every angle and amazing photograph opportunities at every turn. We also visited Milford Deep - a fascinating underwater aquarium in the middle of the Sound.

From Te Anau we drove across the South of the Island and managed a fleeting stop at Dunedin. It was here, on the way to a brewery(!), that Albert managed to take a wrong turn up the steepest road in the world, as per the Guinness Book of Records...! He wisely decided to reverse the van back down the road, after the realisation that a 180 degree turn could topple us!! We left Dunedin unscathed thanks so some 007-esque moves from my fiance...

Onwards to Oamaru, our favourite Kiwi town - home of the penguins.... We were lucky enough to see over 100 blue penguins at dusk coming home from their days out fishing in the sea, and returning home to their partners and young chicks at their man-made colony. Incredible to witness, but no photographs were allowed so you'll just have to believe us. We also saw the endangered yellow-eyed penguins in the wild in their colony, as they just walked right past me (see video). Some cheese tasting and a walk through the botanical gardens finished off Oamaru and we were on the move again, this time back to Christchurch to drop off the van... but not before a little more fishing in a strange little ghost-town called Twizel!! On our last night we stopped at Akaroa in the hope of booking another boat tour - this time to swim with dolphins, however our hopes were dashed as the snow, sleet and hail came...and did not stop...We will definitely not miss the New Zealand weather and are excited to top up our tans in Australia (fingers crossed!)

After 2600 miles...21 days...too many pies and lamb shanks to mention, and the most incredible scenery we have ever witnessed, we have finished our New Zealand adventure. We bid a sad farewell to our trusty campervan, and now have only Australia and South East Asia left on our trip. Less than 7 weeks left, and 4 more countries and cultures to experience!!

Big love
A and A xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



7th November 2008

Meat Pies!!
I know a place in Brooklyn that makes NZ meatpies!!! I'll get some for your triumphant return to the states in.. like TWO MONTHS--your trip looks spectacular--I look at pictures whenever I am in my Corporations Class--it's my one bit of solace...Godspeed to you guys on your whirlwind global adventure fellow fiancees! Cheers!
8th November 2008

Skype Details
Hey Amy - Weekends are normally best for Skype for us, I am at mums this weekend, it would be great to hear (and see you both !!) Mums emails address is jenni@wingerworth.com, do you need anything else ? By the way - that jet boat ride looked amazing !!!! Love Mother of the R.B and the little man himself !!! xxxxxxxxx
10th November 2008

Skype
Hey Jane - for Skype you would need to go to www.Skype.com and sign up for a username and then tell us what it is. We'd arrange a time for us to come online and call you over the computer. If you have a web-cam it is even better because then we can see each other too - lots of fun!! Probably will be best to do it when we're in Asia in a couple of weeks, as we're on about a 12 hour time difference at the moment which could be a bit confusing! Will let you know if we can do it in Thailand maybe!! Lots of love to you all xxx
10th November 2008

Hey Val!
woohoo!!! we ate so many pies you wont even recognise us!! unfortunately i wont be returning to NY until your wedding so save them up for then!!! How is your planning going??? lots of love xx
12th November 2008

!
I just checked your itinerary again! Can't wait to see pics of Fiji!!! Planning is going well--and by well I mean its going slowwwllyyy--but life still seems to be going warpspeed!!! At this point I am looking forward to the end of the semester and winter break--heading to the mountains with the biberaj's! Ken and I were just talking the other day--we miss you guys SOOOO much!!! This trip looks amazing but it will be so good to see your faces in person again! Love you guys, be safe and smile hard. Cheers!
13th November 2008

gutted... well cant really be....!!
Hey Val, unfortunately Fiji had to be cut (as did the North-East Australian coast) due to a little too much spending....!! haha... instead you will see a few more Thai island pics from next week, as money goes a lot further in Asia thank goodness.. so I hope that suffices!! We miss you guys too like crazy, and good luck with the rest of the planning - cant believe I have all that to come back too!! lots of love xx

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb