Dennis X4!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
June 17th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dennis X FOUR!!!!Dennis X FOUR!!!!Dennis X FOUR!!!!

This is where we docked our kayaks at Watering Cove after a 9 km kayak.
Hey everyone!

Well, here we are in Nelson, although we leave for Franz Josef early tomorrow morning. We had a great two days here. After arriving on the ferry from Wellington which was a very cool ride, we took a bus from Picton to Nelson and arrived around 3. We got into our hostel and I was just settling down to call Dads for Father's day when in walked Lisa and Ashley! It was great to see some familiar faces and we exchanged stories as we walked around the town and shopped a bit. We also decided to book a tour for the next day together to Abel Tasman National Park, the smallest and busiest national park here in New Zealand. We ate a fantastic dinner together (roasted lamb), played some cards, and had free pudding at our hostel! We all hit the hay earlier since we had to be up at 7 for our tour.

Our tour was 2.5 hours of kayaking in the park, then a half hour hike, then 4 hours of sailing and seal watching. The kayaking was amazing, it was soo beautiful and the views were unbelievable. We also saw a seal pup (about
Watering CoveWatering CoveWatering Cove

Pretty hey?
8 months old) before we docked. Then we had some coffee and tea on the beach to warm up before the four of us headed on our short hike to our catamaran sailing boat! We got to the beach and ate our lunch before jumping onto the catamaran (there were only two others aside from us four!) and heading out around the Tasman Bay. It was sooo amazing and refreshing. We went to a fur seal colony that had 5-6 month old pups (baby seals) and mama's and we also saw a BLUE PENGUIN swimming, which is the smallest penguin in the world and it was just SWIMMING BY OUR BOAT! We cruised around the bay and docked for a bit by a bird sanctuary on an island and drank hot tea while we enjoyed the sounds of the birds. The reason for this blog's name is because all four of us were registered under Dennis' name, so everytime we met with a new guide he asked for "dennis times four?". We nominated Dennis the responsible one for the group so he had the map and tickets!

After we sailed past the bird sanctuary we headed up to Split
Dennis and I Dennis and I Dennis and I

Looking down at Anchorage Bay in the Abel Tasman National Park
Apple Rock which is a gigantic rock split nearly in half pretty much like an apple! Really cool! Then we sailed back home while relaxing on the canopy and enjoying the sunset. We all took the bus ride home sleeping and then split up to shower and get a couple things together before meeting again to make our delicious stirfry dinner. We said our goodbyes and then hit the hay.

Today, Dennis and I took our bus to Franz Josef, a glacier town in the mountains. The ride was rough for both of us but very beautiful. We also got to stop at Pancake rocks for 45 minutes. So now we are in Franz Josef and tomorrow we are going for a hike around the glacier! Then off to Queenstown!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Seal Pups!Seal Pups!
Seal Pups!

Soooo adorable, we nearly swam to it!
Dennis X four again!!!Dennis X four again!!!
Dennis X four again!!!

On the catamaran!
OceannnnnnnnOceannnnnnnn
Oceannnnnnnn

Tasman Sea!
Pancake RocksPancake Rocks
Pancake Rocks

Heehee, looks like a great big stack of pancakes to us!
Pancakes againPancakes again
Pancakes again

Geologists are not sure how these formed, they are in a pickle!


18th June 2008

Swimming with nature
Get's better everyday. Always nice to meet up with people you know, sometimes in the most out of the way places. Sounds like you are still having a great time, keep it up. Love, take care, miss you.
18th June 2008

As always...
the stories and photos are awesome! Sounds like you guys are having a ton of fun! Now with the Split Apple Rock and Pancake Rocks, reading this just makes me hungry!! haha! :) Not much going on here for me, only ONE WEEK of school left though! YAY! :) Take care you guys! Have fun at ttthhheee... bbrrr...rrr... ggg..glacier.... ;)
18th June 2008

Pancakes rock?
Kim... of coarse it would look like pancakes to you. :) hehehe
19th June 2008

Thanks for the Father's Day call. Out on Golf course with Chris. Sounding great from your blogs. Enjoy, Enjoy!! Miss ya!!
20th June 2008

Wow!
Great pictures! It really is beautiful there and very adventurous - kayaking, sailing, hiking. Go for it all! It was a great surprise to "chat" with you on Facebook early this morning. Have fun on the glacier!
23rd June 2008

the real responsible ones of dennis X 4
For the record we only said dennis could be the responsible one because he was the oldest...we just wanted him to know that being old can have some benefits every once in a while...just kidding, you know we love you. But for the record Lisa is the most responsible one...(haha ya right I am just lucky I didn't tip mine and ashley's kayak). Glad your guys trip is still going good. We leave for Aus so soon, I can't believe it. I am going to miss the crazy kiwis!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb