Fortune, Misfortune, and St. Patrick's Day Too


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
March 25th 2008
Published: March 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Back Off-roadingBack Off-roadingBack Off-roading

We were trying to find Payne's Ford to go rock climbing . . . however went on a great drive instead.
We stayed nearly a week in the and around the town of Takaka and its many attractions. We did have the misfortune of a negative kiwi experience and lost a few of our dear belongings including our packs, phone and Christina's vision (both glasses and contacts were in her pack). We were fortunate in many regards, and Christina is making due with some wonderful $14 glasses in the mean time. From Takaka, we headed back toward Nelson and started deciding what type of work we would like to pursue. Motueka is the heart of the apple industry and full of vineyards, both in full swing. We browsed local papers and read of the work available, droves of workers and camper vans. We even ran into some friends from our previous orchard job who were happily working... but we lacked gumption from our disappointing kiwi encounter and weren't up to settling into full time work yet. We decided to head back into Nelson and celebrate St. Patrick's Day and re-evaluate our plan from there.

St. Patrick's Day was great. We went to an Irish pub and had a Guinness Pot Pie and took in a U2 cover band. U2 is a
The Path We Followed The Path We Followed The Path We Followed

This path wound up and around many ranges, open sheep gates and going through creeks, until we were convinced Payne's Ford was not "just a little bit further."
big ticket to cover, but they did a very good job bringing Ireland a little closer and entertaining with music that I had put on the back burner for some time now. All in all, a great way to recall me roots and make me red beard proud!

Our plans then took on a new direction as we headed toward Blenheim with an overnight stop to take some midnight yoga and star pictures.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Meeting The LocalsMeeting The Locals
Meeting The Locals

We did find Payne's Ford late in the day and decided to go rock climbing the next day, however decided to check out the view and the 'loo'. When we got back from our 15-20 min walk, we found our van a bit cleaner then we had left it, as a result we had to go talk with Bruce the police man, and he gave us excellent service.
Christina Getting A Good GradeChristina Getting A Good Grade
Christina Getting A Good Grade

Just like making hand prints at five, Christina scores great on her prints.
Nguara CavesNguara Caves
Nguara Caves

We stopped at caves between Motueka and Takaka and had a great under ground - down under - time.
More Nguara CavesMore Nguara Caves
More Nguara Caves

This is the cathedral part of the caves, it is crazy but many people have gotten married here.
Bouncing BackBouncing Back
Bouncing Back

Taking in the facilities at the Holiday Park. We got to shower, use a kitchen with sinks, and Christina got to jump.
Cathedral In NelsonCathedral In Nelson
Cathedral In Nelson

. . . huh . . .
Deforestation Deforestation
Deforestation

Very common to go from areas of lush forest to clear-cut progress.
Yoga by NightYoga by Night
Yoga by Night

Soaking up some serious full moon rays.


30th March 2008

Great Journal entries
Wow, you guys are taking some amazing pictures. The colors and sencery...police officer Bruce is so life like its hard to believe he's not real! We're sorry to hear about your stuff getting taken, hopefully someone will beat them up someday and they will trace it back to that poor decision they made to taking your stuff. We have been looking forward to connecting up with you, I have been leaving skype on to catch you online. We missed you tonight by barely an hour. Can't wait to talk again. Be care and keep the great entries coming!!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb