Day 9 - Sunday - Motueka to Kaiteriteri to Nelson to Picton


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Motueka
March 11th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


***FIRSTLY, i have made Photo and Notes updates to previous entries, so have a look.

Awoke in Motueka at the YHA. There is nothing like having your own ensuite. It was really nice to have your own shower and toilet in you room again. We stayed at Bakers Lodge, YHA here. I was quite nice.

Then on the recommendation of the friendly lady at reception (at the YHA) we drove up to Kaiteriteri and booked a water taxi trip. This you have got to do. We went into the Abel Tasman National park north of there as far as Bark Bay. We had a great commentary from our driver Paul. Thanks for a great 3 hr + trip out to Bark bay and back.

As there were multiple drop off points you could be dropped off on one pristine beach and be collected on another and do a walk in between. What a brilliant idea. We saw seals and numerous water birds and quite a few kayakers. Our guide Paul told us that the kayakers were a recently introduced species and the trick is to wave at them in the hope that they wave back. Meaning they have to put down their paddles and thus lose momentum. He He He. Hey just repeating what Paul told us to do!

From there we drove back to Nelson for a seafood lunch. Nelson is apparently the seafood capital of the world, well NZ at least. We had lovely seafood at a place called Saltwater. It’s just as you drive in from/on Route 6. Wendy had pan seared scallops in a Thai sauce with Jasmine rice and I have lemon and peppered squid with squid ink linguini.

Out of Nelson, still on Route 6 you will go through a town called Havelock, which proclaims itself as the Green Lipped Mussel capital of the world. We gotta go back. Just outside of there once you have turned toward Picton there is an awesome look out that looks both up the Sound and back to Havelock. this is well worth the 10-15 minutes hike to it from the car park. Be careful, its a very narrow driveway into the carpark. Car have driven off the road and nearly disappearded down the hill.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



12th March 2007

Jade
Wendy, did you buy any jade jewellry? Put a photo in if you have please. How is it Chris and I are the only ones putting in comments!? Erica.
12th March 2007

See you soon.
Glad you are having such a good time, See you Wed.
19th March 2007

Jade & Boat
Hey Erica, yes we bought a bit of Jade and just a few other trinkets I'll make sure Len includes some photo's. Hi Chris, Len was kinda devestated that he didn't get to do any fishing. I think another trip is in the work - without me as fishing is not my thing. It was hot but the water mostly was freezing so no beach swimming but we did do a bit at the Polynesian Spa hot pools. Highly recommended! Cheers Wendy

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb