Motueka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Motueka
March 3rd 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Paddy's DayPaddy's DayPaddy's Day

This could be a joke - An English couple, Irishman, Dutchman, and Scotswoman walked into a bar...
00
DAYS 
00
HOURS 
00
MINS 
00
SECS

till we are back home!






Not much to report since our Franz Josef adventures. We travelled up to Nelson to look for work but there wasn't much going in Nelson City itself, so we got the bus an hour up the road to Motueka. Its a nice little town right on the coast and its the heart of the apple, pear and kiwi fruit growing region. Orchards rely on backpackers to harvest the fruit so finding a job was easy (no reference required!). We started out picking pears. Working in the fresh air, hearing the birds and catching some sun while earning some cash - brilliant, or so we thought. It was, to quote one of our Thai friends, 'f@$%!i(MISSING)ng HIDEOUS'! Eight hours picking pears according to their size in the searing hot sun, earing a pittence was the unfortunate reality of it all. The first two days we were on a hourly rate of $10.25/hr (about 4 quid) which was actually quite good because we would not have earned that if we got paid 'per bin'. To fill a bin we had to pick about 400kg!

We were soon looking for alternatives and it
ShipwreckShipwreckShipwreck

Saw this on our walk along the Motueka coast.
worked out that there were some jobs available in the packhouse. Charlie was able to start the next day grading apples but I was sent out to pick again for a day. But the next day I was relieved to be putting trays of apples inboxes then stacking the boxes on pallets. Tedious work but a better option than picking. I have probably been shifting around 3 tons of apples each day and Charlie must watch hundreds of thousands of apples whizz by on the conveyer belt. Its not brilliant work quite long days (8-5 6 days a week) and rubbish pay compared to home, but its the first we have worked for half a year so we can't really complain!Most of the apples that go to the packhouse are exported to the UK, so when you buy your Enza apples from Tesco, chances are they could have been graded and packed by us here in Motueka!

We have been staying in a really nice place about a mile from where we work. Its cheap (which is always good) and clean and we've met loads of nice people. Tongans, Koreans, Malaysians, Japanese, Czechs and an Irish lad. We all
Birthday pizzaBirthday pizzaBirthday pizza

Choi demonstrated his awesome pizza making skills by making Keith him a special Korean birthday pizza.
get on really well. The asians cook some awesome meals and the Tongans eat all the time they aren't working. Its a really nice atmosphere.

There isn't really much to do here but on our Sundays off we go shopping for the week and have been on a nice walk along the coast.

We will update this blog again when we finish work and add any decent pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

WastedWasted
Wasted

This hippie guy we met in Nelson couldn't believe that Charlie actually wasn't an unimpressed giant green rabbit. She couldn't get away from him.
Mulitcultural MotuekaMulitcultural Motueka
Mulitcultural Motueka

Shin getting up close a personal with a Pole.
Shake them Samba hipsShake them Samba hips
Shake them Samba hips

Rafa, one of the cheeky Brazilian had some great dance moves.


19th March 2007

Hi, I see you are having a great time!!!
19th March 2007

The man from Delmonte says "YES"
Can't wait for you to add some more pictures to the blog have really missed it. But needs must be met and although the work is boring and not well paid it won't be for long. I shall study the little stickers next time I go to Tesco and buy apples!!!! Glad that you have friendly people staying with you, it makes all the difference when you all get on together. Enjoy your return to the North Island. Love to you both. Stay safe. Oh by the way I wore my bracelet and earrings on Sunday when Chloe took me out to lunch.Thank you both so much. Love Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxx
20th March 2007

how do you like them apples
yo yo apple boys and girls, will look forward to munching on your ripe ones! jason !

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.1142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb