Friday 30/1/15


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Golden Bay
February 1st 2015
Published: February 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Pohara

Early morning walk along the beach, well not that early obviously but quite. The beach must be about 2 miles long and is very gently sloping with very calm water it looks like the ideal kids beach. By the time we were walking back I think there were about 5 or 6 kids and a few parents playing 3 women jogging, 1 quad bike with a trailer and 1 man in swimming.

The only thing not peaceful about NZ so far are the cicadas, what a racket they make. Sometimes we can hear them when we are driving on the noisy roads with the a/c on and windows up. Drove along the coast a bit past a sign for penguins, to the Wainui Falls. Interesting walk past some 'slips', through some really very loud cicada woods, over a one person at a time swing bridge and up to some quite impressive falls.

Called into a cafe/bar called Plan B for lunch on way back, great burger (without the bun) and an open steak sandwich. We have run out of free wifi so may yet resort to the jigsaw or pack of cards in the cupboard or even talking to each other ;-).

Been for a walk along a path just above the beach and back through the one road of houses. Some really nice ones with good views and some old shacks. A bit too isolated here for my liking, great for a few days but wouldn't like to live here.

The tag line in the tourist brochure was 'it's just a hill, get over it' and it was some hill!

Resume of the beer and wine so far; three wolves - fav so far Macs - goldAnd some others Speights - gold? Ok but not as good as three wolves Wine - various mostly quite vinegary but a Hawkes Bay that I got in Rosie's Irish bar in Napier was the best so far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 51; dbt: 0.084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb