Down the river to cold water hut and a quick dip


Advertisement
Published: April 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We actually get an extra hour in bed this morning as New Zealand have daylight saving and the clocks have gone back an hour, however in huts this doesn’t really happen as you live by the sunset and sunrise. I am up to watch the last of the beautiful sunrise, which really is stunning.

By 8.30am we are out and heading down the mountain. Today’s track follows the river down the mountain then out to the lake along the valley. The first few hours are rather tricky for footing, as many of the rocks and vegetation we cross around the water flowing down the mountain side are covered in a thin layer of ice. We all make it down without any issues however, and admire many the waterfalls before disappearing into the forest for the second part of the track. The next few hours through the forest aren’t as it interesting but nice flat easy walking and we all knatter away so it passes quickly. We arrive at Coldwater hut, where we are staying tonight, which is located right on the edge of the lake which extends for as far as the eye can see. We are at the hut by 2.30pm so have some time to make it homely as this hut is a back country hut, and therefore is a tad more primitive than the others. It sleeps 12, though due to its very small area, you would have to be a very cosy 12, as there is only just enough room for us all to sit down! We all are dispatched into the surrounding area by Joan and spend the next hour or so collecting suitable kindling for the fire while she starts it, which is rather a challenge as the hut, most of the wood, and any paper scraps we have are damp. Joan gets a fire going rather quickly however, and the hut soon warms up and starts to feel a lot more homely, a certainly looks it, with smoke pouring out of the chimney.

We have two lots of visitors before night sets in, firstly a group of four young Isralies (around my age), who stayed in the same hut as us last night. They stop to eat their lunch in the warmth and shelter of the hut before continuing their walk out. The second group was a perfect example of a modern family – a dad who must have been around 75, with his grown up son and daughter (both in their 40’s), their mother who was now his ex-wife, and his 7 year old son from his new marriage. With both these groups overlapping the inside and outside of the hut became a very busy and rather amusing place! David and I had been talking all of today about going for a swim in the lake, and with the sun out, and fire roaring to warm up after, now was the perfect moment….so with my bikini on a ran down the jetty and jumped in. As the name of the hut is Coldwater, I actually expected it to be colder than it is, but it was certainly refreshing!

The Isralies soon went, but the other group – the New Zealanders had to contact and wait for the water taxi to pick them up, and didn’t leave until 5.30pm, providing much amusement and conversation for us. We spent the rest of the evening snuggled in our hut, talking away by candle and fire light before heading to bed, doubling up the mattresses to make it extra comfy!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb