Mellow in Murchison


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Murchison
August 16th 2016
Published: August 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Richmond Mall proved a great palace to upload my blog. I had logged on in Nelson city to the Maccas wifi on Saturday and the Richmond Mall Maccas automatically recognised and let me in, no password, no time limit and more importantly fast upload.
Today our plan was to drive to Murchison and fish along the way if possible in the Buller River which runs alongside much of the road. So head through Richmond, Wakefield and follow the signs towards Westport. The road takes you through major pine forest areas, over the Spooner Saddle and throug dairy and sheep farming. There is a major intersection just past Murchison, left to Christchurch via the Lewis Pass or right over the bridge to the West Coast. The largest swing bridge in NZ is just past the turn off to the coast, but it costs $10- per person to walk on this and also access the 15 minutes walkway, a huge big tourist rip off which we declined. It's not named Buller Gorge for nothing. At time we would have been 30metres above the fast flowing river, almost inaccessible. Driving into Murchison you can easily access the river down near the caravan park which is on the right as you enter town, with an easy walk along the side of the river. Another access is on Fairfax St Murchison, near the Catholic Church. And there is a steep little track down to the river near the bridge and intersection for the Lewis and Coast road. Fishing today proved elusive, with a lure and tip of the rod lost as well as some skin on the knuckles. We only have a small rod, and no flys, just lures, an experiment in unknown territory. But the little Op Shop in Murchison proved way more fruitful, cotton blanket $5- and a long sleeve water proof fishing jacket for $10-. Score! Tonight we are the sole occupants of the Murchison Kiwi caravan park. Rural setting, huge area for each van and a selection of animals to feed and fuss over.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb