Nelson National Park and Buller Gorge region


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Murchison
January 9th 2010
Published: January 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Kaikoura we headed inland to the Nelson National Park region (North Central South Island) through the Mauri plain, a vast grassland with some beautiful driving country. Onwards to the forests of Hammer Springs which is fabled for its mountain biking. We had no time to stop maybe next time! The route had many things to see along the way, the most notable of which was Maruia falls a stonking falls which is shown in the attached piccies.

We then climbed through the Nelson National Park to the Buller Gorge region of NZ to Murchison. Not just a great place to stop and rest but also as we found out the home of the New Zealand Kayaking school being at the centre of covergence for 4 rivers in the region. We had to have a go so booked a half day with ultimate descents in inflatable kayaks. Lisa deserted me to go with the instructor so I was left with a girl from Northland to steer my craft, of course we spent the first half hour going backwards through most of the rapids!! Luckliy for her I took over the steering and promptly capsized the craft putting us both in the drink, my old SAS training came to the fore (ahem..) and I promptly let go of the oar in a fit of self preservation but luckily managed to swim over to the bank. Team Lisa (instructors name also) had a spotless performance without getting a hair out of placed, so everyone soaked them blinking show offs....

Last stop heading out of the region was NZ's longest swing bridge (getting a bit of a theme here? oldest, longest, biggest.... well they cant all be its like the oldest pub in London!), I really dont think this swing bridge was very big at all but the view was nice, onwards to Karamea and the Heaphy saga.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb