Our White Wedding / Nuestra Boda Blanca


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mount Cook (Wedding Location/Sitio de la Boda)

The green dot is the location of The Hermitage. The yellow dots represent the approximate route the helicopter took, and the top left yellow dot would be the approximate location of where we landed and where the ceremony took place ********* El punto verde es la ubicación de The Hermitage. Los puntos amarillos representan la ruta aproximada que tomó el helicóptero, y el punto superior izquierdo amarillo es el sitio aproximado donde aterrizamos y donde celebramos la ceremonia

The Rings / Los AnillosThe Rings / Los AnillosThe Rings / Los Anillos

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
Have a look at the map and read the comment to see the helicopter route and the wedding location

**********

The main reason why we chose to get married in a private ceremony - and by private we mean just the two of us - was so it could truly be our day. With our families living in different countries and speaking different languages, a traditional wedding would’ve been even more stressful than it normally is. As nice as it can be to share such a special moment in your life with the ones you love, it would’ve been difficult for us to really relax and enjoy, what was supposed to be, after all, our big day.

There's no denying this option also had an added advantage - it would be much easier and quicker to organise, thus saving us a lot of headaches. Indeed, you must be thinking, with only the two of us to worry about, planning this wedding must have been a piece of cake, right? And with so few things to organise, it must have been dead easy to have it all running smoothly, right? Well, noooot quiiiiite... it actually ended up turning into a bit of a saga... do read on...

Rewind the tape to some time last summer, we were cruising around Central America back then. We had started talking about it and knew pretty much what we wanted, we just needed to find the place and the time. Whilst browsing the internet many months ago, Maria came across a company that organised weddings in New Zealand. The locations were many and varied, but the one idea she fell in love with was to celebrate the wedding on top of a mountain, surrounded by natural beauty and silence, without having a coachload of tourists descending upon us... it didn't take much to convince us both that this was the ideal choice for us, and from then on our mind was pretty much made up.

It took a few months to make it to New Zealand, but the idea didn't fade away. So when we arrived in the country, and once Christmas was over, we started sorting out the paperwork and making more precise plans. We gathered a lot of information regarding possible locations, accommodation, celebrants, photographers, etc. It took a few hours to go through it all and weighing up the pros and cons of one location against the next, but once we decided on one, we made a few phone calls on a Friday afternoon and within 20 minutes it was all booked!

The date was set for 7th March and our chosen location was a place called Liebig Dome within the Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park, where we would be flown by helicopter. Mount Cook is the highest peak in Australasia at 3,754 m (12,316 ft) high. We would be staying at The Hermitage, a huge hotel complex which pretty much makes up the tiny Mount Cook Village just a few miles from Mt Cook itself, and would be married by the hotel manager himself, Denis, a registered marriage celebrant and former All Blacks player (for those of you who don't know, the All Blacks are the much loved national rugby team).

So with under two months to go, we couldn't waste any time. The next day, Desirée (our landlady) took Maria on a dress-shopping trip round Christchurch. After trying on a variety of dresses, she settled for a simple burgundy gown, which would take 10 to 15 days to arrive, leaving plenty of time before the wedding. Mark intended to hire a suit rather than buy one, so that would easily be taken care of at a later date.

On the days that followed, Maria made a few trips to some craft shops and bought materials to make her own accessories - head-dress, necklace and earrings. We also spent some time shopping for other essential accessories - the wedding rings! After trying on countless different rings and going through a bunch of catalogues, once we decided on a design we took the idea to another jeweller we had met through Desirée and asked him to make them for us. We thought it'd be much nicer to have rings that have been made especially for us rather than ones that come out of a mould. If in Christchurch, go to see Trevor at Juniper, he's got many pretty things which are his own designs (mainly for the girls, needless to say...), and you can see him at work too.

Whilst all this was happening, we were also looking for a campervan. 10 days later, with the campervan bought and most things for the wedding under control, we were packing our bags and quite literally about to walk out of the door when we got the first hiccup. Maria got a call from the dress shop - apparently there had been a mix-up and they had received a fax from America (where the dress was due from) saying the dress was not available in her chosen colour. What the!?! And it took them 10 days to find that out?? She went back to the shop for a refund, and checked in a couple of other shops, but the dresses she liked were not available in her size and it was not possible to get the right size within the now tighter timeframe. So the only other option was to have it made from scratch.

We found a dressmaker, and whilst the dress was being made we went off to Kaikoura to see the whales, and went quad biking in Hanmer Springs. We then returned to Christchurch to meet up with the rellies, and Maria went for her first dress fitting. It went quite well and we were confident it'd be finished in a day or two, but nope! Subsequent fittings went from bad to appalling, with the bodice being too tight, the straps uneven, later the bodice itself being uneven... it went on and on. This was supposed to be easy! Desirée recommended another dressmaker who could make a bolero to match the dress. Luckily, this new dressmaker did an excellent job, so all's well that ends well... but this was just the beginning!

Whilst back in Christchurch, we stayed in the old flat for a couple of nights so we could write our own vows (the whole ceremony in fact) comfortably. After reading countless examples taken from the internet, it then took quite a long time to choose the lines we liked and mix and match them together so that it all flowed naturally and sounded coherent. We also finished doing all our shopping for the wedding - Mark still hadn't bought any shoes, but it didn't take him long; he bought the first pair (out of 3) he tried on in the first (and only) shop he looked in; his whole shopping experience can't have taken more than 6 or 7 minutes. That is called shopping in true man style!

With everything now sorted out, all that was left was for Maria to brighten up her dress a little, as she felt it looked a bit bland. She just wanted to sew some beads onto the top, but there's not much room to stretch out in the campervan, so a couple of friends invited us to stay with them so she could use their spare room to do all her sewing. It was a great offer and we gladly accepted! The only downside was that their two children were a bit poorly and we were concerned we might catch something from them. The parents repeatedly told them not to get too close to us, but since when do children do what they're told? It is a universal truth that children don't tend to listen to reason, and don't understand the possible consequences, so they still climbed all over us and coughed and sneezed, spreading their germs left, right and center.

Needless to say we were quite nervous about it and stuffed ourselves with vitamins in the days that followed, whilst we visited Mt Sunday (the LOTR location) and the lakes. And this is where we catch up with our last blog...

As we were leaving the lakes and approaching the wedding location, we got a call from Denis, our
Ready to fly / Listos para volarReady to fly / Listos para volarReady to fly / Listos para volar

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
celebrant, to say that the weather was looking dreadful for Wednesday, but fine for Thursday (this was on Monday), and suggesting we call the photographer to change the date. This we did, and everything was fine, as we had already warned them that this was a possibility and they had kept the day free for us. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, the inevitable happened and that same night Maria came down with cold-like symptoms, which got worse in the morning. There was nothing to do but overdose on paracetamol and rest, so we booked ourselves into a motel in Twizel, which would be warmer and more comfortable than the van, and hoped for the best. However, by Wednesday morning she was feeling dreadful and Mark was starting to feel bad too, so we had to concede defeat and cancel the wedding, putting it off until the following week. Luckily the photographer was available for that week too, and although Denis would be travelling to Japan on business, he found us another celebrant to take his place.

By Thursday we were both looking and feeling like we'd been hit by a truck, and, as if making a mockery of
Mt Cook and Tasman River / Mt Cook y Rio TasmanMt Cook and Tasman River / Mt Cook y Rio TasmanMt Cook and Tasman River / Mt Cook y Rio Tasman

From the helicopter ********* Desde el helicóptero (Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
our misery, it was a glorious day outside, with just the perfect weather. Happy wedding day! Needless to say at that point we both felt very down and disappointed. We were also getting concerned that we might not be able to go ahead with our plans, as the weather forecast for the following week was not looking good, and there were only 2 days when everyone was available for the wedding. We feared we may have to get married in the hotel after all that, which we weren't particularly excited about...

We were pretty much confined to our motel room for the entire week; luckily we had a TV and internet connection to keep us entertained, although we spent much of our time snoozing anyway. We also had a lovely flower bouquet brightening up the room and cheering us up; it was from Mark's best man Nick and his girlfriend Les, who had sent it to the hotel in time for the wedding - a kind member of staff brought it down to us when they found out we were poorly.

Following a rather boring week, we were both feeling much better by the following Monday. Keeping everything crossed that the wedding could go ahead that week, it all started to look shaky again when we had to rule out Wednesday due to strong winds, rain, and even snow at low altitudes, so all our hopes were on a small window on Thursday afternoon.

On Tuesday afternoon we met with Glenys, our new celebrant. It was a funny coincidence as Mark's mum is called Glenis, so we thought this must be a good sign! We went over the ceremony with her, she was very chatty and put us both at ease; we explained we wanted to learn our vows so we could say them to each rather than repeating after her, and she agreed that was a nicer touch. We were quite happy that she was so flexible as many celebrants insist in doing it more the traditional way for fear of things going wrong, like people forgetting their lines or stumbling on their own words, but we thought that even if that happened, it would still be much more natural and sound more sincere, and we could laugh about it afterwards.

The one concern Mark had was that Maria might get the giggles during the
Another view from the helicopter / Otra vista desde el helicópteroAnother view from the helicopter / Otra vista desde el helicópteroAnother view from the helicopter / Otra vista desde el helicóptero

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
vows, as that's exactly what had happened every time we had tried practising it. She had burst into uncontrollable fits of laughter, sometimes accompanied by tears, time and time again. She just didn't seem to be able to keep a straight face, not because she couldn't take it seriously, but purely out of nerves! So Mark was very, very worried that her nerves could only get worse on the day and he could only picture the worst...

Wednesday came and we finally left the motel to go up to the Hermitage. Then yet another hiccup - the van refused to start! After not moving for 8 days, the battery was completely flat, but the problem was that it refused to take any charge at all. Admittedly, it was a bit dodgy when we bought the campervan, but now it was dead as a dodo. Our major worry was that we may not be able to find another one - Twizel only has 1,000 inhabitants and a very small handful of shops. The closest town of a decent size is Wanaka (with 5,000), and that is 140 kms away! Luckily, they did have the right battery at the local petrol
Just landed / Nada más aterrizarJust landed / Nada más aterrizarJust landed / Nada más aterrizar

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
station (which, by the way, also doubles up as the town's post office), and Mark got a lift with Postman Pat so he wouldn't have to walk back to the van carrying the heavy battery, as it was also raining (we tell you these people are awfully nice). In summary, between the motel and the battery, this is one of the most expensive weeks we've had without actually doing anything! Even when the motel people gave us a discount on our last few nights as they felt sorry for us after hearing our story...

Another bit of good news was that when the clouds lifted we were blown away by the views of the mountains in the background, all covered in beautiful bright snow! They looked gorgeous! Suddenly we got really excited and our spirits lifted... we so hoped the weather would hold for the following day... We stopped several times on our way to the Hermitage just to admire the views, plenty of snowed capped peaks all around, the scenery was absolutely beautiful and the pictures we've added here really don't do it justice! We called at the helicopter place to check on the weather for the next
Glenys falling down the hole / Glenis colándose en el agujeroGlenys falling down the hole / Glenis colándose en el agujeroGlenys falling down the hole / Glenis colándose en el agujero

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
day, and were told it was only looking “50-50”, as although it was meant to be clear, the wind can pick up at any moment, and the prediction was for more rain and strong winds from Friday or even Thursday evening. We went to bed with all our fingers crossed...

Thursday 15th March, the BIG DAY had finally arrived! When we woke up, it was beautifully sunny and calm outside, fairly warm too, and there was still plenty of snow around, things were looking up! It was not until then that we allowed ourselves to get really excited and the nerves started to kick in. Later in the morning we met up with Denis's assistant, who went over all the details with us again, and good job she did, as we had completely forgotten about taking the wedding licence with us!

We then went back to room to get ready... it took Maria three times as long to do her make-up as everything else, as she was completely out of practice. Taking into account she hardly ever wears any anyway, and had only worn a bit of lip gloss every so often in the last 18 months (and
Prelude to the Ceremony / Preludio de la CeremoniaPrelude to the Ceremony / Preludio de la CeremoniaPrelude to the Ceremony / Preludio de la Ceremonia

Mount Cook in the centre ********* Mount Cook en el centro (Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
little more on Christmas day only), she was afraid she would end up looking like a paint-by-numbers job... She must have done a good job though, as Mark didn't run away in fright when she came out of the room!

So all dressed up and ready to go, we made our way to the helicopter place, met up with the photographer, the celebrant and the pilot, and off we went (we even got a couple of tourists taking our picture!). It was the first time in a helicopter for both of us, and we loved it! It was a fairly short flight but very enjoyable, we had amazing views down the valley and over the snowed peaks, absolutely gorgeous. We landed on our chosen spot and it was pristine, nobody else had landed there since the previous day’s snowfall, so the snow was crisp and untouched, and fairly deep too, we nearly lost Glenys in a hole! Maria had to wear her walking shoes rather than her nice shoes, as she would've lost her toes to frostbite. Unfortunately the dress wasn't quite long enough and it kept being blown away by the wind, so this doesn't look particularly smart
The Vows / Los VotosThe Vows / Los VotosThe Vows / Los Votos

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
in the pictures, but we guess it adds a small element of humour...

Maria did very well in keeping a straight face during the vows, which we both recited beautifully with only a minor glitch (Mark changed the order of one of the lines, but recovered pretty well). If you would like to read the ceremony, you can find it here (ceremony). We had beautiful weather with only a few gusts of wind; there were some clouds in the sky but they were high enough to leave the mountain tops clear, and we could see a very long way over and across the Southern Alps. The fresh snow made the landscape even more beautiful and Mount Cook looked very majestic and imposing behind us. We could not have wished for a more beautiful late summer day and we felt, quite literally, on top of the world.

After the ceremony we enjoyed a bit more time on our beautiful spot savouring the views and having a few more pictures taken. Once back in the valley, we were given a spontaneous round of applause by a group of people waiting for their helicopter, who also had a toast to us,
The Exchange of Rings / El Intercambio de AnillosThe Exchange of Rings / El Intercambio de AnillosThe Exchange of Rings / El Intercambio de Anillos

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
with some of them coming over to take our picture whilst we signed the licence. We felt like movie stars! Formalities over, we drove to the other side of the lake for another picture session before returning to the hotel for a nice meal in the a la carte restaurant. We got a complimentary glass of champagne with our meal, and we felt brave enough to order a whole bottle of wine, needless to say after a dry 18 months we felt quite drunk after a couple of glasses and took the rest back to the room!

All in all, the day that had seemed to struggle so much to arrive, was over before we knew it, and we had both enjoyed it thoroughly. We had a bunch of lovely cards from family members waiting for us in the room, which Uncle Peter and Aunty Regina had brought over from the UK for us as a surprise, and an extra one from Mark's ex colleagues which Nick had organised and sent to us. It was a lovely thought on everybody's part, we really enjoyed opening them, and kept them on display for the couple of days we stayed in
I now pronounce you... / Yo os declaro...I now pronounce you... / Yo os declaro...I now pronounce you... / Yo os declaro...

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
the room (and are now in storage for future enjoyment too).

The next day we went for a walk to Hooker Glacier in the morning, it was again a nice day but extremely windy (no helicopters would’ve flown that day)! This gave us our last view of Mount Cook, as the weather started to close in as we were making our way back and it didn't get any better by the time we left on Monday morning. So we can truly say we were extremely lucky to have been able to celebrate the wedding in the exact location we had chosen, someone must be looking over us! They say things happen for a reason; at first we saw the cold we caught as a bit of a curse, but if we had got married as originally planned, we wouldn't have had such wonderful views of snowy peaks all around us, so looking back we reckon it was actually a stroke of luck in that sense.

And it gave us a white wedding with a difference!


N.B. We have only uploaded a few pictures here, the ones we feel are the best ones. If you'd like to
You may now kiss the bride! / ¡Puedes besar a la novia!You may now kiss the bride! / ¡Puedes besar a la novia!You may now kiss the bride! / ¡Puedes besar a la novia!

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
see them all, please email us and we'll send you a link, although the reason we didn't add them all in the first place is that many of them are quite similar and they might appear a bit repetitive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Echad un vistazo al mapa y leed el comentario para ver la ruta del helicóptero y el sitio de la boda

**********

La razón principal por la que decidimos casarnos en una ceremonia privada - y por privada queremos decir para los dos solos - fue para que pudiera ser de verdad nuestro día. Por muy bonito que pueda ser compartir ese momento tan especial en tu vida con la gente que quieres, también sentíamos que, inmersas en preparaciones que se alargan durante un año, y estresadas por la tarea descomunal que parece ser el coordinar tan gran ocasión, muchas parejas parecen terminar por olvidarse del verdadero significado del día, y acaban pasando más tiempo con el resto de la congregación que el uno con el otro. No queríamos que eso nos sucediera a nosotros.

Tampoco se puede negar que esta opción tenía una ventaja añadida - sería mucho más fácil de organizar, y así
The toast / El brindisThe toast / El brindisThe toast / El brindis

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
nos ahorraríamos más de un quebradero de cabeza. Seguro que estáis pensando que desde luego, que no teniendo que preocuparnos de nadie más que nosotros dos, planear esta boda habrá tenido que estar chupado, ¿no? Y con tan poquitas cosas que organizar, habrá tenido que estar aún más chupado conseguir que todo se desarrollara sin problemas, ¿no? Pues más bieeeeen... que no, en realidad se convirtió en una pequeña saga... seguid leyendo...

Rebobinad la cinta hasta el verano pasado, entonces andábamos paseándonos por Centro América. Habíamos empezado a hablar acerca de lo que nos gustaría hacer y teníamos más o menos claro lo que queríamos, sólo nos faltaba encontrar el lugar y decidir la fecha. Mientras buscaba información en internet hace muchos meses, me encontré con la página web de una compañía especializada en organizar bodas en Nueva Zelanda. Los sitios donde las organizaban variaban mucho, pero la idea de la que me enamoré fue la de celebrar la boda en la cima de una montaña, rodeados de belleza natural y silencio, sin que se nos echara encima un autocar lleno de turistas... no tardamos en convencernos de que ésta era la opción ideal para nosotros, y desde entonces
Ben & Kylie, the guests / Ben & Kylie, los invitadosBen & Kylie, the guests / Ben & Kylie, los invitadosBen & Kylie, the guests / Ben & Kylie, los invitados

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
nos quedamos encaprichados con la idea..

Aún tardaríamos unos meses en llegar a Nueva Zelanda, pero la idea seguía sin perder fuerza. De modo que cuando llegamos al país, y una vez pasaron las Navidades, empezamos a arreglar papeles y a hacer planes más precisos. Recogimos un montón de información acerca de posibles sitios donde celebrar la ceremonia, y también alojamientos, celebrantes, fotógrafos, etc. Nos llevó bastantes horas mirar toda la información y sopesar los pros y los contras de cada sitio, pero una vez que nos decidimos por uno, hicimos varias llamadas de teléfono un viernes por la tarde y ¡en cuestión de 20 minutos estaba todo organizado!

La fecha se fijó para el 7 de marzo y el lugar que escogimos para celebrar la boda fue Liebig Dome, dentro del Parque Nacional Aoraki/Mount Cook, donde llegaríamos en helicóptero. Mount Cook es el pico más alto de Australasia, con 3.764 m de altura. Nos alojaríamos en The Hermitage, un enorme complejo hotelero que es prácticamente todo lo que hay en el pequeñísimo Mount Cook Village (Pueblo Mount Cook), a unos kilómetros del mismo Mount Cook, y nos casaría el director del hotel en persona, Denis, celebrante de bodas y ex jugador de los All Blacks (los All Blacks son el muy bien querido equipo de rugby nacional).

Con menos de dos meses que quedaban para la fecha, no teníamos tiempo que perder. Al día siguiente, Desirée (la casera) me llevó de compras por Christchurch para ayudarme a buscar un vestido. Tras probarme varios vestidos, me decidí por uno sencillo, de color granate, que tardaría de 10 a 15 días en llegar, o sea, con un margen bastante amplio. Mark iba a alquilarse un traje mejor que comprarse uno, y eso lo podíamos encargar en cualquier momento.

En los días que siguieron, salí de compras varias veces más, más que nada a tiendas de arte y manualidades donde me compré materiales para hacerme mis propios accesorios - adorno para el pelo, collar y pendientes, lo que me mantendría ocupada durante varios días después. También pasamos bastante tiempo buscando otros accessorios esenciales - ¡los anillos! Después de probarnos todo tipo de anillos y mirarnos multitud de catálogos, una vez nos decidimos por un diseño concreto llevamos la idea a un joyero que nos había presentado Desirée y le pedimos que nos los hiciera. Pensamos que sería más
Cheers! / ¡Chin Chin!Cheers! / ¡Chin Chin!Cheers! / ¡Chin Chin!

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
bonito tener anillos que hubieran sido hechos especialmente para nosotros que unos que salieran de un molde. Si alguna vez estáis en Christchurch, pasaros a ver a Trevor en Juniper; tiene cosas muy bonitas, diseños propios suyos (para las mujeres más bien, se entiende), y le podéis ver trabajando también.

Mientras que sucedía todo esto, también andábamos buscando una autocaravana. 10 días más tarde, con la autocaravana comprada y todo lo relacionado con la boda más o menos bajo control, estábamos con el pie en la puerta cuando recibo una llamada de la tienda donde había comprado el vestido. Al parecer alguien había metido la pata en los EEUU y habían recibido un fax esa mañana diciendo que no lo tenían en el color que yo quería. En fin, ¿pero cómo pudieron tardar 10 días en darse cuenta? Me acerqué a la tienda a por un reembolso, y volví a mirar en otras, pero los únicos vestidos que me gustaban eran tallas dos y cuatro veces más grandes, y era imposible conseguirlos en mi talla a tiempo para la boda. Así que la única otra opción fue que me lo hicieran.

Encontramos una modista, y mientras me hacía
Swept off her feet / En volandasSwept off her feet / En volandasSwept off her feet / En volandas

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
el vestido nos fuimos a Kaikoura a ver a las ballenas (los cachalotes), y a montar en quad en Hanmer Springs. Luego regresamos a Christchurch a juntarnos con los tíos, y yo fui a probarme el vestido que estaba sólo prendido con alfileres. Esta primera prueba salió muy bien y estaba segura de que en un par de días iba a estar listo, pero no tuve semejante suerte. La cosa fue de mal en peor, no sé qué hicieron al coserlo pero el busto me estaba apretadísimo, los tirantes asimétricos, luego fue el escote el que estaba asimétrico... en fín, qué frustación, casi me daban ganas de llorar, ¡se supone que esto iba a ser fácil! Desirée me recomendó otra modista que me hizo un bolero a juego con el vestido, ésta por suerte resultó ser más profesional e hizo un trabajo estupendo. Bien está lo que bien acaba... ¡pero esto sólo fue el principio!

En Christchurch volvimos al piso un par de noches, para poder escribir nuestros propios votos (en realidad la ceremonia entera) más cómodamente. Después de leernos un sin fín de ejemplos que encontramos en internet, nos llevó bastante tiempo escoger las líneas que nos gustaron
The Happy Couple / La Feliz ParejaThe Happy Couple / La Feliz ParejaThe Happy Couple / La Feliz Pareja

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
y mezclarlas y modificarlas de manera que tuvieran coherencia y sonaran bien. También terminamos todas las compras para la boda - Mark aún no se había comprado los zapatos, pero no tardó mucho, se compró el primer par (de tres) que se probó en la primera y única tienda a la que entró; toda la experiencia no puede haber durado más de 6 o 7 minutos. ¡Esto es comprar al estilo masculino!

Ahora lo único que faltaba era alegrar un poco el vestido. Me parecía que era un poco soso y quise darle un poco de vidilla añadiendo unas cuentas al busto. Una pareja de amigos nos invitó a que nos quedáramos en su casa para que pudiera yo utilizar un cuarto que tienen libre para terminarme el vestido. Nos pareció una oferta excelente y aceptamos. Lo malo es que los dos niños que tienen estaban algo pachuchos, y nos daba un poco de miedo que nos contagiaran algo. Los padres les dijeron repetidamente que no se nos acercaran mucho, ¿pero desde cuándo hacen los niños lo que se les dice? Es un hecho universal, los niños no suelen atender a razones ni entienden las posibles consecuencias, y así
Another Toast / Otro BrindisAnother Toast / Otro BrindisAnother Toast / Otro Brindis

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)

se nos echaron encima cada dos minutos y nos ducharon con toses y estornudos, esparciendo gérmenes a diestra y siniestra.

Ni que decir tiene que nos quedamos bastante preocupados y nos inflamos a vitaminas los días que siguieron, cuando visitamos Mt Sunday (el exterior de El Señor de los Anillos) y los lagos. Y aquí retomamos la historia donde la dejamos el blog anterior...

Según salíamos de los lagos y nos encaminábamos hacia el sitio donde se celebraría la boda, recibimos una llamada de Denis, nuestro celebrante, para decirnos que acababa de recibir la predicción del tiempo y que del miércoles mejor nos olvidábamos, pero que para el jueves iba a mejorar, y sugirió que nos pusiéramos en contacto con el fotógrafo para avisarle. Así lo hicimos, y no hubo problemas, ya le habíamos avisado que era posible que pasara algo así, y había reservado el día también para nosotros. Hasta aquí, todo bien.

Desafortunadamente, lo inevitable acabó por suceder, y una servidora se empezó a sentir mal esa misma noche; los síntomas eran de resfriado, y a la mañana siguiente me encontraba peor. No pudiendo hacer otra cosa que inflarme a paracetamol y descansar, nos fuimos
With Glenys and Greg (the pilot) / Con Glenys y Greg (el piloto)With Glenys and Greg (the pilot) / Con Glenys y Greg (el piloto)With Glenys and Greg (the pilot) / Con Glenys y Greg (el piloto)

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
a un motel en Twizel, donde estaríamos más calentitos y cómodos que en la autocaravana, y a cruzar los dedos. Pero el miércoles estaba que no me podía mover, y Mark se empezó a sentir mal también, así que tuvimos que aceptar la derrota y cancelar la boda, posponiéndola hasta la semana siguiente. Por suerte el fotográfo también estaba libre, y aunque Denis se tenía que ir de viaje al Japón, nos encontró otro celebrante que pudiera casarnos en su lugar.

Para el jueves estábamos los dos para el arrastre, nos sentíamos como si nos hubiera atropellado un trolebús y seguramente lo parecíamos también. Para más inri, hizo un día glorioso de sol y buena temperatura, vamos, el tiempo perfecto. ¡Feliz día de boda! Ni que decir tiene que en esos momentos nos sentimos bastante deprimidos y decepcionados. También nos preocupaba que quizás no íbamos a poder celebrar la boda en el lugar que queríamos, ya que la predicción del tiempo para la semana siguiente no tenía buena pinta, y sólo teníamos dos días en los que poder hacerlo. Empezábamos a temer que nos íbamos a tener que casar en el hotel al final, y no es que nos
On the way back / De camino de regresoOn the way back / De camino de regresoOn the way back / De camino de regreso

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
dieran ganas de dar saltos de alegría al pensarlo...

Esa semana la pasamos prácticamente confinados a la habitación del motel. Por suerte teníamos televisión y conexión a internet para entretenernos, aunque pasamos casi todo el tiempo dormitando. También teníamos un ramo de flores que nos había enviado el mejor amigo de Mark, en teoría para que nos estuviera esperando cuando llegáramos al hotel para la boda, y aunque al final llegó una semana antes, nos vino bien para alegrarnos el cuarto (un empleado del hotel que vivía en Twizel fue lo bastante amable para traérnoslo).

Para el lunes de la semana siguiente nos sentíamos mucho mejor. Aunque intentamos mantenernos positivos, la cosa tenía mala pinta - hubo que cancelar el miércoles porque la predicción era de lluvia, viento fuerte e incluso nieve a bajas altitudes, de modo que todas nuestra esperanzas se centraron en una pequeña ventana que pareció abrirse para el jueves por la tarde.

El martes por la tarde nos reunimos con Glenys, nuestra nueva celebrante. Nos pareció una coincidencia curiosa ya que la madre de Mark se llama Glenis. Repasamos la ceremonia con ella, estuvo muy parlanchina, y nos ayudó a quitarnos algunas dudas
The Signatures / Las FirmasThe Signatures / Las FirmasThe Signatures / Las Firmas

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
de encima; le explicamos que queríamos aprendernos los votos de memoria para poder decírnoslos directamente, en vez de repetirlos según los leía ella, y estuvo de acuerdo de que quedaria más bonito. Nos gustó el hecho de que se mostrara flexible para acomodar nuestros deseos, ya que otros celebrantes insisten en celebrar la ceremonia de manera más tradicional por miedo a que las cosas salgan mal, como que a la gente se le olvide una frase por los nervios o se atasque, pero a nosotros nos pareció que aunque nos pasara algo así, seguiría siendo más natural y sonaría más sincero, y nos podríamos reir de ello después.

Ahora la única preocupación que le quedaba a Mark era que me entrara la risa floja durante los votos, que era exactamente lo que me había pasado cuando habíamos intentado practicarlos. Más que risa floja es que me había dado un ataque de risa histérica, a veces acompañado de lágrimas, una y otra vez. Me resultaba imposible hacerlo seriamente, no porque no me lo tomara como tal, ¡sino de puros nervios! Así que el pobre Mark estaba muy pero que muy preocupado de que llegado el día los nervios sólo podían
Whispering sweet nothings / Susurrando ternurasWhispering sweet nothings / Susurrando ternurasWhispering sweet nothings / Susurrando ternuras

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
empeorar y se esperaba lo peor...

Llegó el miércoles y por fín dejamos el motel para irnos a The Hermitage. Estábamos listos para salir... ¡y la autocaravana va y se niega a arrancar! Después de 8 días sin moverla, se había descarado la batería, pero lo peor es que se negó en rotundo a recargarse. Nuestra mayor preocupación era que quizás no íbamos a encontrar otra, porque Twizel sólo tiene unos 1.000 habitantes y un puñadito de tiendas. La ciudad más cercana de un tamaño medio decente es Wanaka (con 5.000 hab), ¡a 140 kms de distancia! Por suerte, sí tenían la batería adecuada en la gasolinera más cercana (que, por cierto, es también la oficina de correos del pueblo), y el cartero le hizo de chófer a Mark para que no tuviese que cargar con la batería que pesaba lo suyo y encima estaba lloviendo bastante (de verdad es que la gente aquí es súper maja). En resumen, que entre el motel y la batería, ésta resultó ser una de las semanas más caras que hemos tenido, ¡y sin hacer nada encima! Incluso después de que los del motel nos dieran un descuento las últimas noches porque les
By the lake / Junto al lagoBy the lake / Junto al lagoBy the lake / Junto al lago

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
dimos pena...

Otra buena noticia fue que al dispersarse las nubes nos quedamos sin aliento al ver las montañas de fondo, todas cubiertas de nieve... ¡qué preciosidad! De repente nos emocionamos y nos dió un subidón tremendo al ánimo... sólo quedaba esperar que es tiempo no se estropeara para el día siguiente... Hicimos varias paradas de camino a The Hermitage simplemente para admirar las vistas, montaña tras montaña y picos cubiertos de nieve, ¡los paisajes eran una maravilla y las fotos no los hacen justicia! Nos acercamos a la empresa que nos llevaría en helicóptero a ver qué nos decían del tiempo, y nos dijeron que la cosa andaba “así, así”, o sea, que aunque en principio iba a estar despejado, podía levantarse viento en cualquier momento, y la predicción era de lluvia y viento fuerte a partir del viernes, pero que se podía adelantar al jueves por la tarde. Nos fuimos a dormir con todos los dedos cruzados...

Jueves 15 de Marzo, ¡el GRAN DIA había llegado por fín! Cuando nos despertamos, brillaba un sol espléndido, apenas soplaba viento, hacía calorcito y aún quedaba un montón de nieve, ¡esto ya era otra cosa! Fue en ese momento
Come here, baby / Ven aquí, nenaCome here, baby / Ven aquí, nenaCome here, baby / Ven aquí, nena

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
que nos entusiasmamos de verdad y los nervios se nos empezaron a agarrar al estómago. Hacia el final de la mañana nos reunimos con la ayudante de Denis, repasamos todos los detalles con ella otra vez, ¡y menos mal que lo hicimos porque se nos había olvidado que teníamos que llevar la licencia de boda!

De ahí regresamos a la habitación a prepararnos... tardé tres veces más en maquillarme que en el resto, porque ya se me había olvidado cómo hacerlo. Teniendo en cuenta que casi nunca me maquillo de todas formas, pero en los últimos 18 meses no me había puesto más que un poco de brillo de labios alguna que otra vez (y poco más el día de Navidad), así que tenía miedo de acabar pareciéndome a uno de esos cuadros de pintar por números... No me debió quedar mal al final, ¡ya que Mark no salió corriendo despavorido cuando salí de la habitación!

Ya arreglados y listos para salir, nos pusimos en camino hacia el helicóptero, donde nos juntamos con el fotógrafo, la celebrante y el piloto, y donde un puñado de turistas se pusieron a sacarnos fotos, y por fín ¡despegamos! Era la primera
Another Smooch / Otro BesitoAnother Smooch / Otro BesitoAnother Smooch / Otro Besito

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
vez que nos subíamos a un helicóptero ¡y nos encantó la experiencia! El vuelo no duró mucho pero fue una gozada, las vistas una preciosidad, sobre el valle y los picos nevados, una maravilla. Aterrizamos en el sitio que habíamos escogido, estaba todo de un blanco inmaculado; no había aterrizado nadie allí en los últimos dos días, de modo que la nieve estaba en perfecto estado sin huellas de ningún tipo. También estaba blandita y bastante profunda, ¡casi perdemos a Glenys al caerse en un hoyo! Yo tuve que ponerme mis zapatos deportivos en vez de los bonitos, porque si no, se me habrían caído los dedos de pura congelación. Por desgracia el vestido no era lo bastante largo y el viento de todas formas me lo levantaba, de modo que no queda precisamente elegante en las fotos, pero bueno, añade un toque humorístico al evento...

Al final me porté muy bien y no me entró la risa ni nada durante los votos, que los dos recitamos muy bien con sólo un pequeño hipo (Mark cambió el orden de la última línea, pero se recuperó bien). Si quisiérais leer la ceremonia, la podéis encontrar aquí (ceremonia) (advierto que la
Looking ahead to the future / Mirando hacia el futuroLooking ahead to the future / Mirando hacia el futuroLooking ahead to the future / Mirando hacia el futuro

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
traducción no me ha quedado bordada precisamente y hay cosas que suenan mucho más cursis que en el original, pero es que no doy para más). Nos hizo un tiempo precioso con sólo unas ráfagas de viento de vez en cuando; había alguna que otra nube en el cielo, pero estaban lo bastante altas como para dejar los picos despejados, y se podía ver a muchos kilómetros a lo largo y ancho de los Alpes del Sur. La nieve fresca hizo que las vistas fueran aún más espectaculares, y Mount Cook aparecía majestuoso e imponente como telón de fondo. No podíamos haber deseado un día de finales de verano más bonito que el que tuvimos, y nos sentimos muy literalmente en la cima del mundo.

Tras la ceremonia disfrutamos de tiempo libre para admirar las vistas a nuestro alrededor y sacarnos más fotos. De regreso en el valle, un grupo de turistas que estaban esperando su helicóptero nos dieron un aplauso y brindaron a nuestra salud, ¡y alguno que otro se puso a sacarnos fotos mientras firmábamos los papeles! ¡Nos sentimos como estrellas de cine! Una vez terminamos las formalidades, fuimos al otro lado del lago a por más
A Tender Moment / Un Momento TiernoA Tender Moment / Un Momento TiernoA Tender Moment / Un Momento Tierno

(Wedding photography by www.alpineimages.co.nz)
fotos, antes de regresar al hotel y disfrutar de una buena cena en el restaurante “a la carta”. Nos invitaron a un vaso de champán con la cena, y hasta nos atrevimos a pedir una botella entera de vino, pero después de 18 meses de abstemios nos sentimos bastante borrachos después de un par de vasos y nos tuvimos que llevar el resto de la botella a la habitación.

En resumen, el día que tanto había tardado en llegar, se nos pasó sin darnos cuenta, pero los dos lo disfrutamos muchísimo. Teníamos también un puñado de tarjetas de felicitación de varios miembros de la familia de Mark, que nos habían traído los tíos como sorpresa. La verdad es que fue un detalle muy bonito y nos hicieron mucha ilusión.

A la mañana siguiente nos fuimos a dar un paseo hasta el Glaciar Hooker, hacía un día precioso otra vez, ¡pero con un viento terrible! Aquí vimos a Mount Cook por última vez, ya que el tiempo empeoró según regresábamos al hotel y cuando nos fuimos el lunes por la mañana seguía sin mejorar. Así que podemos decir de verdad que tuvimos muchísima suerte de poder celebrar la boda en el sitio exacto que habíamos elegido, ¡debemos tener un ángel de la guarda después de todo!

Hay quien dice que las cosas pasan por algo; al principio naturalmente nos pareció que el resfriado era más bien que nos habían echado mal de ojo, pero si nos hubiéramos casado el día 7 en vez del 15, no habríamos tenido esas vistas maravillosas de picos nevados todo a nuestro alrededor, así que, en retrospecto, la verdad es que fue más bien un golpe de suerte en ese sentido.

¡Y le dió otro significado a lo de tener una boda blanca!


P.D. Sólo hemos añadido un puñado de fotos aquí, las que nos parecen las mejores. Si queréis verlas todas, mandádnos un email y os enviamos un enlace, aunque la razón por las que no hemos puesto todas aquí para empezar es que son bastante parecidas y pueden resultar un poco repetitivas.




Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 39


Advertisement



6th May 2007

wow
Just happened to be viewing my friends blog and ran into your blog. I just wanted to let both of you know, your wedding was amazing and inspirational. And your love for one another flows out of those pictures which is wonderful... Many great wishes...
6th May 2007

Wonderful day
thank you for letting me see your photos. I think they are great I'm sure seeing me pulled out of the hole will give a few a smile it certainly did me..I did a wedding 2 days ago on the mountains and Simon the photographer was talking about me falling in the hole and I was surprised when he said he had taken my photo!!! now I have seen it for myself.. Good luck and all the best Glenys
7th May 2007

Que se besen!
Que boda mas bonita! El sitio parece de pelicula! Y los dos estais guapisimos! Y lo mejor es que ademas a los dos se os ve muy felices! Que chulo el vestido, Maria! Que os dure la luna de miel muchos, muchos agnos! Felicidades!
7th May 2007

¡Pero qué boda de ensueño!
Hola "trotamundos"... Esta boda me parece de cuento de hadas. Me alegro de que pudiérais abstraeros de obligaciones para con unos y otros, y pudiéseis vivir "lo vuestro" de una manera tan especial. Muchos besos
7th May 2007

...congrats!
Congratulations!!! Woooow! The private ceremony…the wedding, the pictures… everything looks absolutely perfect! Well done! Although I don't know you, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself…and I hope you'll continue enjoying whereever you may happen to be now. :) Lots of love, luck, health…and many more adventures… :) Greetings from Croatia! Angela
8th May 2007

Thank you!
Just gave myself time out before starting work this morning to read about the wedding and look at your beautiful pictures. The ceremony wording brought a tear to my eye :o) So thank you for dragging me out of this office and away to the snow capped mountaintop (in my mind at least). Love to you both xx
8th May 2007

White wedding!
My guy, Phil, commented that you looked very much in love, it just radiates from you both and we wish you happiness and peace together for the rest of your lives. Sue and Phil xxxxx
9th May 2007

Congratulations!!
WOW well done, and what a way to do it... you want to make me get married now! You've come such a long way since Spicefest (literally!!) and experienced the adventure of a lifetime, it's so fitting to have chosen to marry on your travels and in a such a majestic, romantic and memorable place. And as others here have said, you both look so happy and radiant. Congrats to you both. Pete
13th May 2007

Congrats
Hey i like ur photos alot. Both of you are so beautiful and the surroundings are so nice!
23rd May 2007

Enhorabuena!!!!
Hey you mad, but genuis people!! Just read your blog whilst scanning thru. Had picked yo out previously, as we are an anglo-spanish couple too, and we just loved your photos. You have actually got the woman thinking along the same lines now (thanks for that!!), but just to say, congratulations to you both. Fantastic pics, and you both look very happy. How did you get those great photos. email us at (edited)@ gmail.com please!!. Thanks
24th May 2007

Congratulations!
Hey there! Congratulations on the great blogs, especially this one. It was quite a wedding - perfect in all ways - and you too look very happy. Thanks for sharing with us! Greets from Ipanema, Ana
25th May 2007

¡Enorabuena!
Friday,25th of May A cabo de recibir tu carta y quiero que sepas que me alegro de que porfin os ayais casado... Lo malo es que a mi me hubiera encantado veros, y ademas asi veria como es Nueva Celanda, porque es un sitio que me encantaria visitar. Bueno solo decirte que aqui yo ya he empezado con los exámenes y es una tortura, porque hay que estudiar un montonazo. Os hecho mucho de menos y me gustaria volver a veros. os quiero mucho ... a los dos
31st October 2007

Congratulations!
Your pictures are amazing, and they are making me miss my home land so much!! Thanks for sharing your special day with the world :)
9th May 2008

Wow! Great idea for a wedding and I have to say I love the hiking boots/wedding dress combination!!
24th May 2009

wow
i was just about to start writing my own blog and i stumbled across yours, i am speechless. good for you guys. the wedding looked beautiful. if you guys make it to ecuador you should stop by my husband and i live in canoa in ecuador.
24th June 2009

thanks for your kind comment
Thanks Vanessa, unfortunately we ran out of time to do the "top half" of the South American continent (we had flights to catch within the one year limit), hopefully we'll be able to go back one day.... For now it's back to the old routine - making money to pay the bills and hopefully save up enough to pack our rucksacks again.... boring! But we feel so fortunate to have been able to do this as so many other people can only dream of it. Un abrazo.
13th November 2009

A snowy honeymoon has always been my ultimate wedding fantasy. I hope I will in fact be able to get married at all. Paperwork for foreigners in Germany getting married is complicated. Great photos! I thought I was the only one who fancies getting married in a snowy place. :)
25th November 2010
By the lake / Junto al lago

I think this is possibly the best wedding picture I've ever seen, congratulations guys.
28th March 2011
By the lake / Junto al lago

Congrats
Great wedding pictures! And a marriage cerimony at the top! Fantastico.
4th December 2013
I now pronounce you... / Yo os declaro...

Brilliant
May you have a great life

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 14; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb