Mount Cook


Advertisement
Published: January 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It rained!! And then it snowed........and then we left!!

The drive to Mt Cook was filled with cool views of the New Zealand countryside. We passed through a truly massive grassy plain fringed by mountains which had been the location for a few of the battle scenes in LOTRs. We also passed the surreal turquoise waters of the man made canals which transported water from some massive dam which I can’t remember the name of. By the time we got to the Mt Cook Village turn off the weather had caught us up and it started to rain again. Any view of Mt Cook would have to wait.

Being a bit naïve we hadn’t book ahead and were lucky to find a vacancy at the first place we tried a few kilometers from the Village. Being short on availability but sensing our desperation we were offered a ten bed dorm with private bathroom all for the same price as a double and with the guarantee that we would be the only ones there. Bargain!! It was like going back in time on a school trip only this time your mum hadn’t packed your suitcase!!

We enjoyed our accommodation to the full, even having enough room to pitch the tent and let it dry. We turned the heating up and sat inside for the rest of the day enjoying some time to just relax, read, do a bit of the blog and eat left over’s from the Mexican we made the night before.

The next day the weather was slightly better. You could see the surrounding mountains and lake Pukaki at the foot of the grounds we were staying in. We left for Mt. Cook, a short 20 minute drive away in high hopes of getting to see the mountain. Unfortunately the weather soon closed in and on the way out having done a quick tour of the village the snow started to fall. Another disappointment due to the weather and instead of spending a couple of days enjoying the sights of Mt. Cook we were off again further up the Island in search of some of that stuff they call sunshine!!

Unfortunately, we weren't here long so we didn't get to find out the names of the places we photographed so in most of them there just called Mt. Cook......... I'm sure that's OK??



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 34; qc: 114; dbt: 0.1043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb