Resurgence


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Motueka
June 8th 2010
Published: June 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having not been away for a while we decided to make use of the Queen's Birthday weekend and head up to Golden Bay in the Tasman district, an area we hadn't visited since 2005. We booked three nights in a chalet (with a heat pump!) in Riwaka, just north of Motueka.

The drive up through the Lewis Pass was spectacular as usual and we had a bright, clear winter's day. We opted for Thai take out in the evening and started to plan our next few days exploring.

On Sunday it rained...all day...except for an hour at lunchtime when we re-visited Waikoropupu Springs on the other side of Takaka Hill and then had lunch in The Mussel Inn, one of the best pubs we've ever been to!

On Monday, the weather was the complete opposite. Early morning we drove up the Riwaka Valley to the Riwaka Resurgence. This is the source of the Riwaka river and is where the water emerges from a complex cave system, fed by sinkholes which start up above on Takaka Hill. The water was incredible after the previous day's heavy rain and the 'Crystal Pool' was in a state aptly defined by the sign (see photos). Next, we went back over Takaka Hill and spent a sunny warm day exploring the beaches of Golden Bay.

On Tuesday, we headed home after a quick stop at Kaiteriteri and a longer stop on the beach at Rabbit Island. Despite leaving Richmond in bright winter sunshine, by the time we stopped for lunch in the Nelson Lakes National Park it started snowing and we hit a lot of snow and ice in the Lewis pass.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The ResurgenceThe Resurgence
The Resurgence

Crystal...?!?
Riwaka ValleyRiwaka Valley
Riwaka Valley

Where we were staying
Takaka Hill LookoutTakaka Hill Lookout
Takaka Hill Lookout

Kahurangi National Park
Ligar BayLigar Bay
Ligar Bay

Didn't see any Ligars though
Ligar Bay againLigar Bay again
Ligar Bay again

Still no Ligars


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb