Milford Sound - are we in. . . NARNIA?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
July 21st 2007
Published: July 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, it just feels like we are in a magical land of some kind. Everything sparkles and glistens, all trees and roof tops are sprinkled with snow, lots of sheep about, cold, but the sun is always shining. The cobwebs freeze over with frost and snow flakes making them look like sparkling diamante, candy floss which reflects the beautiful sunlight from the bright sun in the big blue sky - a hint of the perfect weather we have been having to view the amazing scenery here in New Zealand.

Yesterday, we went to Milford Sound. It was a very long drive for Chris, he did very well with all the ice and snow we saw everywhere. We arrived there after a 3 hour drive from Te Anau (where we have been staying for the last couple of nights - tonight is our last night and then, we are moving on to Queenstown to do a bit of skiing!) Arriving at the Milford Sounds, we parked the car and ran to the boats to see if we would make the boat cruise around Lakes and Mountains - and we did! We got a lovely (smaller than the others, but that meant less people and being smaller boat, we got closer to the beautiful suprises that were in store for us. . . .) boat with really friendly crew, not too many people on it, infact, hardly any and well, it was just perfect.

We set off and immediately, every direction that we turned, it sounds so cheesy, i know, but, the view was a postcard picture - just perfect. Waterfalls, running from the peak of the enourmous mountains, but being so cold (winter here) many had frozen, and turned in to hundreds of icicles, each at least half a meter long, no way you could get your hand round them and they looked beautiful reflecting light. The water we were cruising on was the brightest blue and the clearest. We were just gazing around at the mountains, the snow, ooh! there! Some very furry big seals lying on some rocks looking and definately posing for us! They were so cute, just slumped on the rocks in the sun, the boat got as close as it could to them, took a few snaps, and then moved on. Then there was a comment from the 'skipper' guy who had been standing at the front of the boat with us all telling us a bit about them - "I'd stay out here at the front if I were you, especially if you like dolphins. . ." We both went and stood right at the front of the boat. . . suddenly, four at once - in a line, like they had been practising, jumped out of the water, then another three a few metres away from them, there must have been about 20 all in all as dolphins stay together as a family - a pod. Then the boat started its engine and the skipper again said, "ahh, it gets better, i'd stay there. . ." I slung myself over the front of the boat so I could see into the water, and they were swimming along at the front of the boat, same speed, not moving their flippers, spinning around, jumping out of the water - there were about 8 of them, just having fun and I swear they knew we were all loving it and laughing and smiling coz they just didnt stop, you could see their lovely big eyes looking at you and reacting to your smile/laugh by doing a jump or turn slightly so it was on it's back as if it was showing you it's very white tummy - while staying in the water and remaining at unbelievable speed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



22nd July 2007

Cool!
WoW! Fabulous photos - looks amazing!! Definitely a place I want to visit!
22nd July 2007

Wow!
Hi guys! I have to say these are some of my favourite pictures yet....it truly is magical! the dolphins sound amazing i bet you loved it! Skiing sounds fun too, hope you don' fall on your bottom too much! keep up the good work, miss you xx x x x x x x
22nd July 2007

NZ
Another superb set of photographs supported by an articulate description of events, ten out of ten. Milford Sound is a very historic area, and looks beautiful in its winter showing. Your experiences and travels have been great to follow, thanks to your consistent reports. It makes me wnat to dig out my passport and pack my case. My next trip of which I have already done some homework on is to tour Newfoundland but with our pending house move it will have to wait a little while. Keep supplying your exciting commentary's and look forward to your next installment. Take care of each other ,stay safe. Love Grandad Granmum. xxx
22nd July 2007

You've wasted no time in getting 'stuck in' to New Zealand! How are you handling the shock of climate change? Are you merely putting on brave faces - or are you really enjoying it as much as the excellent pictures suggest? Have you located Upper Hutt? Will take a copy of this latest update of your journal to Nicky's birthday lunch tomorrow, with a copy for Gran, but page 2 won't print for some reason. If you do have time to track down Andy Wardle, he might bore you schitless with his QPR videos (Sorry Chris, I don't imagine he's even heard of Liverpool living that far away from Merseyside!)
24th July 2007

New Zealand
How beautiful everything looks. The most amazing photos - those icicles are unbelievable. The Tasman Sea looks very calm in your picture - it wasn't like that when I was crossing it all that time ago. Waves coming over the top of the ship!! quite scary - we were all locked inside. It is one of the roughest passages of water on earth I think. I love those seals just sitting there. It does look truly amazing - I hope one day to get there and see myself! I agree with Rachel - my favourite pictures yet!! love you - Mum

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb