Dunedin to Methven - Rangitata Rafting


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Methven
March 14th 2011
Published: March 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our travel day to Methven (the Christchurch stop due to the earthquake) included a stop off at Rangitata Rafting, on the Rangitata river. This was a brilliant activity. Our guide Steve got us into the wetsuits and briefed us on how to tackle grade 5 rapids, of which there were two on this run.

We learnt how to forward paddle, back paddle, hold on and to get down ! It was a great day on the water and there were a couple of junmps - 5 metres and 10 metres into the water plus a lovely swim down the river.

We didn't fall out once, however there was one moment where I thought I had killed the woman in front. But she said she was fine, so all good 😉

I was quite impressed with the setup there, it cost about 100 pounds each there were 3 boats out on the water and then there was the opportunity to stay back at the hostel where we got changed into our wetsuits. If we had known we could have stayed there, I think we would have done. it was a really nice place, where you were looked after well (we got fed twice as part of the price) and the views were spectacular.

After finishing we got a ride to our accommodation in Methven with Ben. He explained where he came from and it dawned on both of us that there are lots of connections with the UK and Scotland with people in NZ. But these parts of New Zealand are how I imagine the UK used to be. Also, notably so, people are proud to be Kiwis.






Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



15th March 2011

Thanks
Great to hear that you enjoyed your day rafting in our special corner of the South Island. Next time come and stay. Have fun with the rest of your travels. From All the team at Rangitata Rafts
20th March 2011

Sweet as !
no worries, it was a great day and has made me get into rafting. Gonna try and do some bits in Australia, I am on the east coast, so if you can recommend anywhere please let me know. My email is jdrussell78@gmail.com Cheers for the great day, truly awesome ;)

Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb