Happy Valentine from Marlborough!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Marlborough
February 14th 2016
Published: February 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

First thing first...First thing first...First thing first...

Zumo in Nelson
The first agenda of the day was to get all the bookings squared out for the remainder of our trip. I've been busy at it throughout yesterday's flight and finally figured out our course of action. Before the offices opened, we grabbed coffee across the street at Zumo, which was surprisingly open at 7am in this sleepy town. They have 7 different roasts and I liked my flat white 😊. Productive morning. We booked a water taxi for tomorrow's Abel Tasman Coastal Track, got a Queen Charlotte Track pass for Tuesday, and picked up the car. This called for a bite from Robert Harris Coffee…fettuccini frittata, a loaded muffin-looking solid pasta!

1.5hr drive on the windy narrow road took us to Marlborough wine region. V looks comfortable driving on the left side :D. Vineyards started to expand along the road. First stop was Cloudy Bay, the region's most recognized brand. I knew their Sauvignon Blanc is solid but the tasting room review was also good. They offer 3 tasting tiers. We did 5-course set which included bubbly, white and red. During the tasting, we were free to roam around their beautiful garden or order food right outside on the patio. It was a hot gorgeous summer day. We milked it for more than 1hr there.

Next pick was Fromm Winery. They're a small organic winery that offered tasting-on-demand. And who would have guessed; A couple that walked in after us was from the Bay Area! The world is such a small place. After a nice chat, we moved onto our last stop of the day: Te Whera Ra. The tasting room was small and intimate. The friendly owner was busy attending others but didn't miss us. She got us started right away. Just by making a small conversation, you could feel her passion for making wine and making it organic. Toru (three in Maori) was great. We had a great time there.

We focused on wine tasting and it was time to get back on the eating train. The English pub should have some food…let's see. Their charcuterie platter was surprisingly good for a pub, score! It was truly an amazing Valentine's Day! Not to mention that we just escaped the serious earthquake in Queenstown, wow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Te Whera RaTe Whera Ra
Te Whera Ra

Passionate owner


Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 18; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb