Getting to the South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Marlborough » Blenheim
September 10th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -41.5116, 173.957

After a roughish night for David (too much coffee and tea for this usually-decaffeinated man?) we were up and at 'em by 6:15, and out the door at 7:15, sadly bidding adieu to our new adopted cousins Everard and Antonella.

We found the Ferry Terminal without difficulty, but then waited for about 2 hours to board. We were beginning to wonder. We were blessed to sight a new bird, though - a goldfinch, but completely different from the American type. Left by 10:30, with a full dramamine in David. Probably unnecessary as it wasn't all that bad.

We had the honor of being the absolute last car off - don't know how that happened. We drove the coastal road west to Havelock along the Queen Charlotte road - beautiful views, up and down, up and down. The skies were clear at last and we enjoyed the ride.

We drove through Havelock to Pelorus Bridge for a bit of a walk-around at another site for the Lord of the Rings movies - where the dwarfs and Hobbits floated wildly down the river in barrels. It's a good excuse for hikes. AND we found another bird - with olive back and blue wings, as yet unidentified.

Came back to Havelock to the Mussel Pot, renown for its mussels, and shared the platter-for-two so we had smoked, marinated, steamed on wine & herbs, a Thai chili and one cheese, oh yes, 6 battered ones, plus a chowder to start. Needed a considerable amt of dental floss after, but it was all yummy.

Arrived at kitchenette hotel in Blenheim (center of wine country!!) by 7:15 and David was quickly ensconced on the bed watching the All Blacks play Argentina (rugby) while I did laundry next door. A perfect combo - and, as yet, NZ's All Blacks are winning. It was important we weren't late, for we needed to catch the haka introduction. Sorry his video was too big to attach - check it out online.

A good sleep is needed tonight - preparing for maybe a visit to a winery for a tasting tomorrow and then off to the Kaikouri coast to spy some pelagic birds (skuas, terns, petrels, and hopefully albatrosses). Plus seals and possibly whales & dolphins offshore.


Advertisement



10th September 2016

A wax-eye, possibly?
11th September 2016

What wonderful travels! We love you both

Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb