Twizel: Lake Benmore walk on A2O trail


Advertisement
Published: March 27th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Lunch stop along Lake BenmoreLunch stop along Lake BenmoreLunch stop along Lake Benmore

Note the cycle path which continues on to Otematata on steeper gradient.
Since it is our last day in Twizel, we wanted to go a little further afield in the other direction near Omarama. We had been told that the new part of the A2O bike trail was one of the best parts of the trail. It is new and has been purpose built by Cycle Journeys to cover the area from Sailors Cutting through to Otematata where you used to have to cycle along the road. Also, the path from Omarama to Sailors Cutting had been improved with a new surface. This was considerably better than the loose metal we struck a few years back. Also the last part of the trail into Oamaru has been finished and is now off the road.

We parked at Sailors Cutting and set off through the camping ground and onto the new trail which is well marked and follows the coastline of Lake Benmore. The surface has been given a coating of fine gravel and the trail is marked every kilometre. It's an easy walk or bike through to the narrowing of the lake when it turns to a grade 3 ride up and over hills away from the lake. We walked about 4 kilometres along the track to a nice sitting place above the lake before turning back. It was an easy pleasant walk and would be a great bike ride further on especially on an ebike.

On the way back to Twizel we stopped in at Omarama and then drove down one of the canals to the Ohau B Power Station closer to Twizel.

It's been an overcast and cool day but the Alps have stayed clear. Tomorrow we leave this town and go to Christchurch and then back home. Twizel has been a great place to stay. It is relaxed, has great facilities, and is central to the Basin. The whole area is quite spectacular with lakes and canals adding colour to an otherwise brown basin surrounded by mountains and hills.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Foehn CottageFoehn Cottage
Foehn Cottage

Our lovely home for the past few days


Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb