Walk and Recovery


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
November 10th 2014
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -44.0074, 170.483

We had checked out of our hotel by 9, and headed to a nearby campground for todays hike. We would start with the popular Hookers Valley track and see how we went from there. Visibility was down from yesterday, and with mist and cloud looming, we elected to pack our rain jackets. It turned out to be a smart move. In the first instance, early in the walk it was just a battle against high winds, whipping through the valley and making it tricky to walk in a straight line. It was a pretty track, winding over hills and through the valley beneath huge snow coated mountains.

There were three impressive swing bridges to negotiate along the way, suspended high over icy aqua rivers, each made to feel a little more perilous by the increasing strong winds. The hike finished at Hooker Lake, a beautiful spot with glacier views and Mount Cook alongside us. The lake was filled with glacier chunks and I was able to pick some glacier ice off the lakeshore. Soon after beginning our return, the weather turned for the worse. Rain started to fall, heavier and heavier, the clouds darkened and mist set in. Our coats kept us relatively dry and as we reached the carpark 12km later, we were treated to some sunshine.

With winds still high and wet windy conditions, we decided to call it a day and head off to Lake Tekapo after pizza lunch at the Hermitage. We arrived at our final nights accommodation at Three Rivers Bed and Breakfast around 3pm. A great cozy room with window view of brilliant Lake Tekapo. The rest of the afternoon we spent winding down. We actually had an excess about of wine (9 bottles from a max allowed 6 to take home) so we spaced a couple of these out across the afternoon and evening. First off, the Church of the Good Shepherd Chapel, a picturesque (although slightly tourist ravaged) and historic church right on the edge of the lake.

Next, we stopped at Saint Johns observatory for impressive views of the area from a high vantage point before relaxing at Lake Tekapo hot springs. These springs paled in comparison to Franz Josef, but were relaxing all the same.Our final dinner of the trip was at MacKenzies Flame Grill. We were glad we booked, getting the best table in the house and excellent sunset views of the lake. Our stone grilled steaks were fantastic, the waiting not so great.. Still, a fantastic final meal.Lake Tekapo is most renowned for being one of the best star-gazing locations on the planet and fortunately for us, the skies cleared at nightfall, treating us to some great viewing. We turned in around midnight, finally relaxed, full of wine and good food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb