Biking Lake Tekapo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
October 26th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lake Tekapo is the most astonishing blue colour I have ever seen! The glacial flour from the rocks make it look so clean and inviting. We explored the tiny church with the best views in the world, wandered up to the statue of a dog - (a tribute to the collie breed without which the land could not be used for grazing and reminding us that we were in true farming country). We gazed in awe at the huge hills and snowy peaks surrounding the lake. With the hot thermal pools next door and lake views from our tent this was the perfect campsite for tonight.

After pitching our tents we grabbed our mountain bikes and headed for the hills - it was an awesome off road ride around the lake, round a small section of beach - through forest and then on tracks through farmland with sheep fleeing away as we rode and deer peering from a safe distance over the steep hills towards us. We dumped our bikes and scrambled up the hill for a better view (we could have continued riding but we were desperate to see what was on the other side and the sunset wasnt far away) Getting to the top we found a weather station and after a short (much flatter) walk we were surrounded by lakes and snowy mountain peaks - this was true New Zealand and we felt great!

Arriving back at camp we grabbed our togs (swimwear) and hit the hot pools - our wobbly legs and aching muscles relaxed in the warm water as we looked out over the lake and the track we'd just conquered.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb