Driving through the South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
December 7th 2008
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

111

our big ass van
The campervan is huge but has everything we need.
It has a shower, tiolet, bed, sink...we didnt get the linen with the van...so the first 2 nights we slept with towels covering us and a few layers and FROZE!!!
We eventually found a shop that sold sleeping bags and now there is no problems!
After picking up the car, filling it with fuel and food, we drove to Lake Tekapo which is a bit inland.
The drive was beautiful and the roads were lined with colorful flowers and eventually we saw our first snow-capped mountains ahead of us!! We of course stopped and took a few pictures.
We got the the lake and found a free camping site which was right next to the lake and across the lake you could see Mount Cook. This is the largest mtn in NZ...so it was an impressive view.
The next day we went into Mount Cook, the town and took 2 hikes.
this first one was in the morning and was 2 hours long with the sun shining the entire time.
But later in the afternoon, it was pouring rain but we took another walk anyway.
We have rain coats with us so
222

while driving we finally saw mountains with snow on them!!!
we werent going to melt. The scenery was amazing, the town was full of history going back many years and of course having Mount Cook in the background is always nice!
We changed into dry warm clothes and headed back to the same place we slept the night prior.
We got more good shots of the sun setting over Mt Cook and I think we need a better camera to capture the beauty next time!
This time down south to Dunedin but made a few pit stops along the way to break up the drive.

We were in one town that almost every building was made of limestone, and then a short drive to the famous Moeraki Boulders, whic are huge spherical boulders on the beach that are millions of years old.
I am going to stop there beacuse time is running out.
Stay tuned for the fur seals on the rocks!
love to all



Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

33
3

pretty flowers lined the drive
66
6

Lake Tekapo
88
8

a church in the background
1313
13

blankets aka beach towels and tons of layers. it got very cold here at night
1515
15

where we parked for the night. and Mt Cook is across the water.
1717
17

a little reminder that we are not the only tourists here getting these shots.
2020
20

our little hike for the day


Tot: 0.289s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb