Day 16 - Driving in the South and Meeting the Good Shepherd


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
November 22nd 2007
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we got our second rental car and headed on our drive around the South Island. This car is in MUCH better shape than that little Toyota Starlet we had before. We told these guys that we had a Starlet the last time and they actually laughed out loud. We drove about 3 hours south to Lake Tekapo (Tick-a-po). This is a very blue alpine lake. It’s famous for the Church of the Good Shepherd and the monument built to the Sheep Dog who is so useful here. Our hotel is right on the lake, has views to the church and the monument and it has wireless. What more can you ask for? We took a nice hike and some nice pictures. See Amy’s attempt to take some beauty art shots. In the evening, we drove up to the St. John’s Observatory to get a view across the valley. We were going to take a tour but decided to just go out and view the stars in their natural state. Beautiful. We saw the Southern Cross (not for the first time but you get the point.) Tomorrow we head on further down. Getting farther away from Maryland with every mile. That’s all for now. Stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.327s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb