Day 92: Lake Mahinapau‏


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Mahinapuha
March 11th 2013
Published: March 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our overnight stop in Westport was a brief one and we were back on the road at 9am. Our next stop was Lake Mahinapau, renowned on the kiwi bus for being in the middle of no-where. The only activities here were a group meal and a fancy dress party - Andrea our bus driver announced our theme would be Pimps & Prostitutes. We had a couple of stop-offs on the way; the first at Punakaiki to see the pancake rocks. These are formed by a fast weathering mineral layer in between harder rock forming a pancake stack effect. Our lunch stop at Greymouth provided a chance to get our costumes (and a traditional meat pie for lunch!). This mining town suffered a tragic loss of miners (just days after the Chilean mining disaster), all involved died and their bodies remain trapped in the highly dangerous mine. We finally arrived at our stop for the night, enjoyed a great steak dinner and had a laugh in our costumes. Bailey's bit: The costumes we came up with we're as follows. Cat and Liz bought rabbit ears and tail and fashioned some rabbit glasses into a sort of over the top bra. I modified Cat's hat into a pimp hat (although it was more of an Easter bonnet), drew on a moustache and created a medallion from a large chocolate coin and some silver string. Overall our costumes were somewhat conservative in comparison to the others on the bus, lets just say a lot of the boys must be questioning their sexuality... Daily mileage: 5 I was able to get up and explore the perimeter of the town. Not much to report...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb