Kaikoura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
November 14th 2011
Published: November 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

HotelHotelHotel

Hotel at Reefton
Sunday and the Whale watching –the sea looked quite calm and the sun was out so we were feeling very positive. When we arrived at the office they told us the weather conditions were bad with swells up to 3 metres and a strong warning about sea sickness plus not to sail if you have back problems, pregnant or under 6 years old. We only qualified on one area, I have sailed in 2 metre swells and been very ill plus Anne is not a very good sailor – that combined with Annes cracked ribs made the decision for us – the lady behind the desk did say to one couple – it seems a lot to pay NZ$145 to be ill. They were extremely honest.
The whale watching tour was a gift from my workmates at Hermes and I was very touched plus Anne was looking forward to this as one of the main highlights of our visit – but to waste it seemed such a shame – so we decided not to go (sorry all at Hermes I do feel guilty).
We did consider staying another day to see if the conditions would improve but the reception and Whale
Another HotelAnother HotelAnother Hotel

Hotel at Reefton
Watch told us that the current forecast was for conditions to get worse.
We went walking instead – there is a good walk from one part of Kaikoura to the Harbour – only about 1.5 miles each way but enough for us. We ate at Robbies again (excellent value and good food).
Monday – off to Greymouth via Hanmer Springs and the Lewis Pass – a marvellous drive with some spectacular views – including lots of stops to take pictures. Hanmer Springs was a small town catering for tourists – it seem quite new. Further on we stopped at Reefton – once again a nostalgic trip to the early American west – I have put a couple of pictiures on the blog to show what it is like.
Arrived at Greymouth for an overnight stop before going to Franz Joseph Glaciers then onto Queenstown.
This holiday is proving very relaxing – we are losing track of time and no worries – just what I needed after stopping work.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb