Maori Leap Cave


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
December 10th 2009
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This morning we got up and went to visit the Maori Leap Cave, which is a limestone cave that was sea-formed. There were only four of us and we got to wear hardhats and a funny old guy gave us a tour. The entrance to the cave is just kind of on the side of the road, by a cafe. There were a lot of cool formations inside, and even though it was kind of small, it was fun and we learned how the different formations were made, and about caves in general. There had been theft at this cave, where someone had come in and broken/stole some of the stalactites, which I guess was hundreds of years old.

We went for a drive to the seal colony afterward where a few lazy seals were napping on the rocks. We stopped off at the Roadside BBQ to eat some Seafood Chowder (more like a soup) and garlic scallops for lunch. It was tasty, and fresh (right by the ocean!). It was cold out, so the hot, fresh seafood was welcomed! We then continued up north and are now in Blenheim. We booked a 4 hour bike tour tomorrow to go visit a bunch of wineries. The sun is out here, so we're hoping it stays that way for tomorrow! The place we are staying here in Blenheim has a river and we went over and fed the river eels some bread. We got so many eels around us...until the ducks started coming and beating the eels to the bread. We also had a duck hanging out by our van at night that only had one leg. She hopped around pretty good. Adam named her Eileen.

We think we're going to try and book a ferry ride back to the north island for Saturday so that we can visit a few places around there before the end of our trip. We can't believe we only have a little over 2 weeks left before we leave!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Maori Leap CaveMaori Leap Cave
Maori Leap Cave

How dark it was in there without a flashlight or flash from the camera.
Maori Leap CaveMaori Leap Cave
Maori Leap Cave

Can see one of the broken stalactites.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb