News from New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
November 16th 2007
Published: November 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone, on goes the story...

27/10/07 - We arrived in New Zealand somewhat dazd, sleepless, jetlagged and with colds left over from India, but still thrilled to be here. I have personally been waiting to come to NZ since I was 12 years old and so far it has in no way disappointed!
We are travelling in a medium wheel base Ford transit campervan complete with such luxuries as shower and toilet (very welcome on cold nights!) Our first two nights were spent just north of Auckland stocking up and recovering from our travels. Next nrthwards throught the aptly named Northlands, on route we saw the oldest living Kauri tree a spectacular sight, standing in a forest towerng 51mtrs high and 17 mtrs girth. The north of the Island is about as warm as it gets with lng beaches and huge sand dunes. We got as far as Cape Regina, second furthest point North where the Tasman sea meets the pacific ocean.
I should explain that I am not driving, stricktly navigation only, but Claire has taken to the van and slaloming along the windy roads, there is even talk of her giving up speech therapy in favour of becming a truck driver in NZ, she has taken rather a shine to the huge Mack trucks that transport freight and logs up and down the islands. We spent 2 weeks exploring the northlands before heading south visiting such places as Raglan, capital of surfing in NZ. Rotorua a large geo-thermal area where even the local park is full of sulphur fumerolas, mud and water geysers and hot lakes of spectacular blues and greens. Close by in Lake Taupo we went on a helicopter flight over volcanoes and waterfalls, stopping off at an old sulphur mine where new eruptions are a constant feature.

So life to the max here, though we do make time to sample the many excellent NZ wines which are ridiculously cheap forcing us to drink more than we would ever otherwise do.

Its spring here in NZ so although we are getting some wonderful sunshine we are also getting wind and rain (see its not all sunshine) On wet days we drive so we came to Wellington, Capital of NZ and crossing to the South island. 4 hs through the Cook straits and Queen Charlottes sound and we were in Picton on the South Island. We are only doing a small area of the South island, as there is still so much to see on the North Isdland we have agreed to return to do the south Island properly.

What we have seen of the South Island has been fantastic, surrounded by mountains and the clearest bluest rivers. We are now in Kiakoura and will be out on the pacific ocean tomorrow (16th Nov) searching for whales and dolphins. I will write more of of our NZ adventures later, and add lots of photos, which in any case show the beauty of NZ far better thn I could ever hope to explain.

Best wishes

Shane & Claire

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007.2kb