Dunedin to Invercargill


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Invercargill
March 12th 2007
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Like the locals, we topped up with drinking water at a tap provided by the Speight's brewery from their own borehole. Many bring huge containers but we settled for a few bottles. We headed 5km north to Baldwin Street which is according to the Guinness book of records the steepest residential street in the world. It certainly attracts the coach-based tourists. We of course walked to the top and back - a very well placed water fountain is at the top. The highlight was watching a cyclist who we empathised with as he managed with lactic acid drenched muscles and bursting lungs to torture himself all the way to the top and then explode in ecstatic relief. It was almost midday by the time we left Dunedin. We at one point unrepentantly ended up on an unsealed road as we found the xxxxxxx falls - pretty but not too impressive. We reached Invercargill - home of Burt Fry, hero of the Anthony Hopkin's starred file 'Fastest Indian in the World'. The rain arrived just after us - lashing down all evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Baldwin StreetBaldwin Street
Baldwin Street

The photo does not capture the steepness - especially the section two thirds of the way up


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 78; dbt: 0.107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb