Okarito


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Haast Pass
April 16th 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Wednesday morning, in order to begin the long journey home, we were up and on the road by 7am. We first drove over the Crown Range which is the highest tar-sealed road in Australasia and stopped for a short while at the Cardrona Hotel (made famous by Speight's beer ads). We made it through the mountains to Lake Wanaka in time for second breakfast.

Most of the day was spent driving through the mountains to the west coast - along the shores of Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea and passing through the Gates of Haast. We stopped at Fantail Falls and Thundercreek Falls before breakng out of the rainforest into Haast itself, where we fuelled up and made a quick side trip to the beach. Driving north, we passed through Fox Glacier (quick stop for strong coffee) and Franz Josef and finally arrived late afternoon in Okarito where we had discovered a fantastic backpackers - Royal Hostel. It started raining heavy but we were happy after a long drive to settle down in front of the log burner and spend the evening playing scrabble - the fact that Em won 331 to 175 is irrelevant!

Thursday was pretty uneventful.
Overlooking ArrowtownOverlooking ArrowtownOverlooking Arrowtown

We took this same photo four years ago...except without the panda
The rain and wind continued and we drove 8 hours straight to get back to Christchurch in time for work the next day. We had a lunch stop in Hokitika and skidded the car 2 or 3 times on the gravelly roads - including an amazing 270 degree Starksy and Hutch style spin off the main road, perfectly into a parking space at Arthur's Pass. Even in the rain the drive through the pass was dramatic, with waterfalls flowing at full capacity.

Overall, a great Easter break.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Fantail FallsFantail Falls
Fantail Falls

And some pebble stacking
Pebble stackingPebble stacking
Pebble stacking

The latest craze


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb