New Zealand - South Island - Greymouth


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
March 14th 2015
Published: March 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi folks, back on the road again this morning, sorry to leave Chateau Franz, friendly place, so we only had a 2 hour car journey to our next destination. We stopped off at a couple of places on the way, one called Ross, old gold mining town and another one called Shantytown, but this was set up for tourists and you had to pay, decided not going to do that, (being tight), we got the idea in Ross !! Onward we went passing fields of sheep, cattle and even deer. Stu said he is all sheeped out and mountained out !! I'm not, can't stop looking at the mountains they are just beautiful, wish I had a mountain outside my house at home. So we arrived at our destination called Greymouth, this is just a stop over for one night. Well, heard that saying 'one horse town', except 'Dobbin has buggered off' !!! It was CLOSED ! I kid you not ! It was only 3.00 pm, we read on shop doors that closing is at 2.00 pm, they have to be kidding, we've just arrived !! It's Saturday, not Sunday, what's going on ? So we found our hostel, Noah's Ark, that's the name, really lovely old house used to a monastry, our room is large, back to sharing a bathroom and kitchen, but that's ok, were used to it now. Mind you it was a bit of a fight in the kitchen tonight, Stu said its like 'Bake off', luckily I had made a meal in one of the kitchen's we had to ourselves previously, so I only had to heat up (we have cool bags and freezer blocks), some people were going for the full 3 course !! Why would you bother ! We have been walking round the CLOSED up town, there doesn't seem to be many people around either. We thought, I know let's go to the museum, off we trott, low and behold CLOSED ! So carried on walking down deserted streets, came across The Monteith's Brewery, now that's more like it, nice place, good atmosphere, didn't do the tour, just had a drink and spoke to a local who thought Greymouth was the best place in earth. Mmmmmmm, sure it is, if it's open !!! Anyhow he was really handy to talk to as he told us to go to places we hadn't heard off (this was out of Greymouth !!). So tonight chilling, haven't got much choice and we're off again tomorrow. Goodnight, may go to bed really early tonight !


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb