19 04 2010


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
April 19th 2010
Published: April 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

19 04 2010

The day dawned bleak and grey. We had no food and it was dull and cool outside. Wendy was not keen on getting out of the warm nest she called bed.

However we got up, showered and prepared to face the world. The journey today was to Greymouth. We went through a lovely mountain range and tropical forest which was wet. We did stop off for a breakfast in Hari Hari. Having sat down and ordered our lovely brekkie a load of backpackers arrived. They probably had enough for 2 coffees and a muffin between them. The sight on their faces as our breakfast, eggs, sausages, beans, bacon pot of T for 2 and toast etc made it more enjoyable.

Having suitably armed ourselves against the rigours of the day we carried on to Greymouth. We got here about 1330 hours and were so tired a siesta was in order. Thankfully I set my alarm as we slept till 1530. Holidays eh!

We then set off the 2.5 miles to Greymouth city. The word city is a literal word as we found out when we arrived. However on the way we took a short cut through Messenger Park. It looked ok till we were about ΒΌ across and it got quite boggy. I had just said they should call this Messenger Marsh when Wendy screamed and I looked across to see she had lost her shoe and had her wet foot for me to examine. This was not good.


After extracting Wendy from the grip of the bog monster we eventually got to the city. It was a 1 horse hick town but the biggest on the west coast. We found out on our arrival at 1645 hours the place closed at 1700 hours.

Despite the place and the time pressure she managed to find a pair of $140.00 Hush puppies to replace the ones she wore.

As long as that kept the peace hurrah. However a trip via a liquor store and a bottle of Bombay sapphire was the guarantee to a happy relationship which I was happy to go along with.

We got back and the long walk back was made complete with the beautiful sunset over the roaring waves of the ocean. Check out the photos to see what I mean.

The trip to the communal kitchen was a long chat with a Californian couple, similar ages and he rides a Harley so we got along well.

Back for a black and white version of desperate housewives as that was the best reception where we were and then blessed beddy byes.






Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb