Pancakes & Glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Glaciers
February 14th 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop to day is Punakaika about 40km north of Greymouth, there is a short board walk along the coast here that allows access to some pretty interesting and unusual limestone formations. The rocks have a layered affect hence their name Pancake Rocks, there are also some impressive blow holes but we missed the tide so missed the show, but it was a beautiful place and very photogenic ofcourse.

It took about 2 hours to get to our cabin Whataroa where we dumped our bags and headed to an information kiosk to book ourselves on a Helicopter Hike on the top of Fox Glacier.

We then headed to Franz Joseph the "town" that services the Glacier tourists before taking a walk to the ice face, we decided not to get to close as I didnt trust the ice. Not long after two tourists got hit with some ice boulders and the police are angry because nobody is supposed to be there with out a guide.

Headed back to Whataroa for a meal at the pub and a few beers.

The next morning we went on a few walks around some lakes before our Helihike, this is a beautiful part of NZ but the weather is unpredictable, so after getting dressed and going through the safety lectures our trip was cancelled at the last moment.

This was hugely disappointing but what can you do, so as soon as we got back to the place I tried to get us on another one but nothing was available for Fox Glacier, but we did manage to get on one for Franz Joseph Glacier for 9am the next morning so fingers crossed.

After that I took Ruth to horse treking place and she went riding for a few hours while I went and worked on my blog.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Pancake rocksPancake rocks
Pancake rocks

And Ruthy
Fark meFark me
Fark me

A one way bridge with a bloody train track on it
Franz JosephFranz Joseph
Franz Joseph

At the bottom
Franz JosephFranz Joseph
Franz Joseph

Just blows you away


Tot: 0.586s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 36; qc: 131; dbt: 0.3643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb