Climbing Franz Joseph glacier and Wanaka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
May 31st 2008
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we had just skydived and our next exciting task was to climb Franz Joseph Glacier! We were all geared up with Ice pics, hats, gloves, spikes on our shoes and coats. We first of all treked it through woods climbing some pretty steep ladders but this was nothing to what we would be climbing later. We were split into two groups we all ended the harcore group 1. We put our spikes on and headed up the glacier itself. We formed a line after our guide who took us through some amazing creeks and crevaces. We went through ice tunnels, extremely tight cracks and over small pools of water. We had to tie ropes on to the rocks then pull ourselves up. Our guide told us it had been the best day for hiking in months and took us to more places than he had ever done before. I found it funny when a small pool of water had been built up and about 4 of 5 people tripped up in it. The glacier was quite useful as well because when I got thirsy I just stuck my head in a puddle and drank the freshest water ever.

The highlight of the day though was when we came across a large plunge pool. It was 0.7 degrees! The guys had bet each other they could jump into it first; however as they were preparing Morgan (English friend) dived in with her clothes on, respect to her! Nick then jumped in and shouted "Pins and needles its sooo cold it burns!" Muc then belliflopped in and found it very hard to get out as his muscles froze. Cain the took the plunge followed by the instructors from 10 metres up. Helen ( who we sky dived with) then took her top and bra off and dived in! She must have been freezing.

This may sound a bit random but its worth a mention. We met a guy who had two broken arms and it turns out that he broke them on a sky dive becasue he hit a pigeon! What are the chances. He laughs about it now.

We went back to our hostel where we all jumped in the hot tub to warm up..sooo good. Later we went out with Cain, Judy and Morgan for a meal and few beers. All in all another excellent day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st May 2008

Keeping in touch
Hello bOYS. wow - What lovely photos of your trip through the Franz Glacier it looks lovely and you certainly pack everything in on your trip We shivered at the thought of the drop in the ice cold water Brrrr. Everything well at home and we hope you keep enjoying your GAP Trip - the memories will stay with you forever. Love and God bless you ALL nanna and Granpop XXXXx

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb