Franz Joseph and Fox Glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
January 10th 2007
Published: September 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Glacier PortraitGlacier PortraitGlacier Portrait

This was about as close as we were able to go to the glacier without climbing on snow with crampons.
One of the most unique things about New Zealand is it's incredibly varied landscape. The glaciers in the Southwest are a big attraction, and we decided to hike to both of them in the same day.

Franz Joseph is larger, although currently more difficult to walk directly up to. Fox glacier is a bit smaller, but you can walk right up to, and onto, the ice if you dare. There are also guided hikes with crampons and ropes, as well as helicopter flights to the top of the glacier. Like all things New Zealand, the prices were quite high, and we were happy to just see them on foot. The glaciers were spectacular, and definitely worth seeing - IF you haven't seen a glacier before. We enjoyed them, but they reminded us a lot of the glaciers we hiked to in Alaska.

We stayed at another farm, run by a single Thai lady, Milai - Mulvaney Farmstay. She not only manages the farm, but also the B&B and even cooks Thai food for you! Like the previous night, we spent hours talking with her, as we were the only guests. We had a great time and felt right at home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Glacial IceGlacial Ice
Glacial Ice

Super hard ice. Yes, CM still has flowers on her nails from Bali!
Ants MarchingAnts Marching
Ants Marching

Groups of climbers on the glacier, courtesy telephoto lens.


16th September 2007

great pix and how sweet you stayed in a place run by a thai lady!! yummy thai food!!! great stuff!

Tot: 0.409s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 34; qc: 159; dbt: 0.1771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb