Doubtful Sound


Advertisement
Published: January 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Happy birthday Katie - our eldest grandchild is 5 today.



An early start for the trip which took seven hours and consisted of a boat ride across the lake a coach ride from there to the fiord. This road was built in the 60s to service a new hydro electric power station and is stated to be the most expensive in NZ and there is not even any tarmac on it. Well the scenery was breath taking. It started off in cloud on the east side but brightened up on the west side of the Southern Alps. The water was flat so the skipper was able to take us out into the Tasman Sea to get the view Captain Cook got when he said that he would not enter the fiord because it was doubtful that there would be sufficient wind to be able to navigate the Endeavour. Thus it became know as Doubtful harbour and more recently Doubtful Sound.



We realise that we are not making as much progress around the Island as we thought, so foot down and onto Queenstown which is our overnight stop on route to the Glaciers. Although a scenic route it is pouring with rain and both lakes and mountains are hidden by cloud. Just like our last visit to Wales.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb