How can it keep getting more beautiful?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fiordland National Park » Te Anau
September 15th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -45.4151, 167.718

As we had arrived in Haast in the dark and drizzle, we were amazed at how beautiful our surroundings were this morning.
the drive across Haast Pass (the lowest of the 3 passes between East and West Coasts) was easy and lovely. We stopped at 2 waterfalls, but were conscious of the fact that we had no cell reception, which meant no GPS, so we really didn't know how long it would take to get to Te Anau.
Lake Wanaka and its neighboring lake were winners.
For some reason the town nearby set itself up as a place to post bras and take donations to support Breast Cancer services.
We took the curvy steep road from there to Queenstown, and the views were well worth it.
At the top of the last pass we had our brie and crackers overlooking Q'town and watched 2 planes come in thru the pass. Q'town is perched on the end of a big lake, and we got to drive along that one too. Did not see anyone bungy jumping, but did see a parachutist.
The drive from there to Te Anau was nothing what we expected. Some of the little towns looked like Wyoming or somewhere. Lots of sheep and cows of course, but also elk.
Te Anau is perched on a lake too, and is lovely and flat, and surrounded by peaks. Guess I thought it would look like Franz Josef, a ski village of wooden structures and such.
We are being allowed to keep our room here tomorrow, even tho we will be on the overnight boat for Doubtful Sound. Lucky break. So NO BLOG TOMORROW - we return here for 2 more nights. I have a cold 😞 so am looking forward to nice soak in the tub tonight.
EARLY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, ANNA AND MIKE!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.3kb