Milford Sound


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

January 31, 2014

We traveled south today from Queenstown to Milford Sound. Milford Sound is one of the most popular tourist destinations and a very interesting drive through some spectacular mountain passes to the coast and the sound. Milford Sound is a large Fjord surrounded by very high mountains rising almost vertical from the ocean.

For anyone interested in mountain scenery this is a must trip. Lakes, huge valleys, rivers, waterfalls, forest and the sound itself.

At Milford Sound we took a boat trip, just under 2 hours, in the sound and out to the mouth and back. Nice trip on a very comfortable boat and more spectacular scenery. Way too many photo ops here. ( good thing we are using digital now )

Finished the day with a 2 hour drive back from Milford Sound to Te Anau for the night.

There are other adventures to be taken from Te Anau including a visit to Doubtful Sound ( a full day trip ), and a visit for some spelunking in a large cave system. We passed on these trips .

This is a very nice town that caters almost exclusively to tourists as well as the many sheep and cattle farms in the area.

This was a Long day but really one of the highlights of our visit to New Zealand so far.



Back to Queenstown tomorrow for some snooping around there before we head back to the east coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb