NZ at LAst


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fairlie
January 19th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Not A Good Day
Arrived in Christchurch on Friday afternoon and found Vagabond Backpacker hostel. Saturday set off and ran over some of the glass, which is at the roadside everywhere. The tell tale sound of a camera wirring was the indication for me to upend my bike and remove the rear wheel to replace the tube. The glass was monstrous and put about 4 holes in the tube - scrap. Tube replaced and on my way in 40 minutes. Struggled to get out of Christchurch due to lack of signs. Ended up on Highway one for most of way to Ashburton. Got lost again due to lasck of signs and didi exra 10 miles - yuck. Not a good start to New Zealand. Found accommodation with family friend now living in Ashburton and good rest.
Sunday, set off for Fairle with a bad left leg - tendons maybe. Reduced power and much pain Light lunch in Geraldine and then climbed up to Fairlie and into thunder and heavy rain. A drowned rat eventually arriived near Fairlie to be collected by another family friend to stay on his farm. Had excellent next 18 hours in good company and tour round 25,000 acre sheep station with 7000 sheep.
Monday, Eventually away from Fairlie at 1 .30 stoked up with Iboprufen. Leg still painful but acceptable to climb up through Burkes Pass against a force 5 head wind, which reduced me to 7 mph on the flat. Arrived at Lake Tekapo at 4.30 to find I had made teh booking for Tuesday not Monday. They found me room in a garage, which ahd a small section not even double the size of the bed made out of plywood and no window, it will do. Weather 18 degrees today and much better forecast for tommorrow. Verdict so far; good country with good views and better to come - just hope the leg holds out.

Advertisement



27th January 2009

Bad leg!
Gammy leg, too much training in England!!
8th February 2009

Thanks for comments. Leg good now since Wanaka. I am enjoying good, warm weather. 20 to 30 degrees. You should be here.

Tot: 0.491s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb