South of the World - Invercargill to Dunedin


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
March 19th 2017
Saved: August 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

In 1965 Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones described this city as 'the armpit of the world.' That must have been before Queens Park was constructed. This enormous 80 hectare green space has a special plant collection, Wonderland castle, ponds, farm animals, and an aviary. I whistle to the emu's and they jog up to the fence. As Chris takes a picture, one of the birds spits at him. He was not impressed.
We go to Bluff to see where the ferry takes visitors to Stewart Island, which is the farthest southern point in NZ. It is windy and cold, with a temperature of 8 degrees C.This is approximately 46 degrees south latitude or a little more than half the distance from the equator to the south pole. In Canada, this is about the same latitude north as Bracebridge Ontario in the Muskoga region.
The road less travelled is the Catlin's and parallel's the Coastal Rainforest Park. Along the way are jaunts to lookouts, waterfalls, and bays.
Into Dunedin brings us to a city like Scotland filled with university students and bluestone Victorian architecture. Someone has yarn bombed the statue of Robert Burns. Out to see the albatross, Chris snaps a photo of one of the birds flying. No spitting this time. We abandon the plan to watch for yellow eyed penguins, as that would involve a two hour wait for them to arrive at sunset.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb