Day 23


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
December 31st 2016
Published: December 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Spent Christmas in Christchurch, or just outside of Christchurch on the olive grove. Was nice, but not really Christmas with no snow, no turkey, no tree, etc. Our hosts cooked us a nice Christmas breakfast and then left us a plate of baking.



We left there Monday the 26th and Bob wanted to stop at the mall, but after looking for a parking spot for half an hour we gave up, Boxing Day is a big shopping day here too.



We drove, on the advise of a local we met in Hanmer Springs, to Lake Tekapo. The holiday park was chocker (full) so we ended up camping in the overflow area. Way too busy and not really a great place so Tuesday morning we packed up and headed for Timaru. Had 3 nights in Timaru. Nice town with a beautiful beach area, Caroline Bay, their annual fair was on complete with rides and entertainment. We stayed up after dark one night to go to the wharf and witness the little blue penguins come ashore after a day of hunting in the ocean. We only saw 9 come it but it was so worth it.



Friday we packed up and headed to Dunedin. We have another AirBnB here one block from St. Clair beach. Woke up to wind this morning and now it is raining, need to find some better weather! We are booked in here until Monday, so will have an exciting New Year's Eve tonight, not. We have wine and chocolate.

Not sure where we are heading from here, I would like to go to Invercargill, but the weather looks like shite.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb