New Zealand - South Island - Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
March 7th 2015
Published: March 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, did the 'hairy scarey' journey again and 2 hours later travelling from 'Old Bones Lodge' we are now in Dunedin, actually I think I'm in Scotland !! The weather is the same, thick mist and drizzle and I can see the highlands !! We found our Hostel, 'Oh Dear', what can I say, much worse. The house looks like an old spooky house, inside it is huge, corridors going everywhere, you need a map to find the toilet !! A very friendly Chinese man booked us in telling us that Dunedin was truly wonderful, gave us our key and pointed to the stairs, said we were right at the top. Ok, started climbing and climbing and climbing, 'I said to Stu, we must be in the attic', well seems that way, bedroom mmmmmmmm, single beds, I've taken the one that looks the best ! Checked out the loos and showers and I am quite impressed with those, thankfully we brought towels as they haven't provided 'one' with that !! They still have the Christmas decorations up downstairs !! Still does the job, two nights in spooky house. Infact our room is so high up, we have left our luggage in the car because to drag that up would finish us off, so we got a plastic bag, filled that up with our clothes for 2 days and toiletries and that will do us. The car is like our house, shoes everywhere, tins of food, books and coats, the list goes on!!

So today we drove to the Castle here in Dunedin, called Larnach Castle, beautiful place, looked around the gardens and we were lucky as there appeared to be a wedding happening there later on this evening so they even had a chap playing the bag pipes out in the garden, how good is that. Now I really think I'm in Scotland ! Also the weather was perfect for visiting the castle as it was so foggy and misty gave it that edge !

We then ended back at 'Le Spooky Hostel' and cooked our pasta, well that was an experience, there was Chinese people in the kitchen, cooking what looked like a whole take-away menu, some Indian people, some people from Germany, all their food looked pretty scrummy ! Me and Stu had tuna in a tomato sauce in pasta, mmmmm, tasty, but the other food looked better. Everyone was just clambering around for plates, pots, utensils and anything else needed. This hostel is so big there are so many people here, all nationalities, both Stu and I said our youth is all flooding back to us, this is how it was when we were travelling ! It's great.

So we headed off to go to the Speights Brewery tour this evening but all booked up, so we will have to do it tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



7th March 2015

Hey Karol First look at hostel definitely spooky!! Inside looks clean and tidy thou so that's good. Getting up to Ur room after a few drinks at the brewery could be difficult! Lovely views fab photo's. Are you getting tired yet ur doing so much!!!! Carry on enjoying Karol and Stu. Keep bloging...... Love to u both. X
8th March 2015

Hi denise
No were not tired doing this, everyday is an adventure ! I'm only tired when I am working !

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb