Dunedin & Nature's Wonders


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
March 13th 2020
Published: March 13th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Dunedin is Gaelic for Edinburgh & was settled by Scots who started the Free Church of Scotland in the 1800s. It is a very pleasant and well off city with some beautiful buildings especially the churches but there are lots of old buildings which have been renovated to their former glory, a large university and a large hospital and med school. The hospital is soon to be rebuilt and loads of grotty modern buildings are being pulled down for the purpose. There are lots of little shops on the high street, which put English high streets to shame. It is a hilly place which slopes onto lots of bays so the houses have lovely views. We were driven along the winding coastal road ,which is being widened, to a Nature reserve where only birds and animals are allowed on the beaches. We left our coach and boarded a little 4x4 which took 7 of us including Nick the driver and bumped our way to the coastal edge where we had the privilege of seeing the New Zealand fur seal pups with their Mums on the rocks. They are so cute. Through binoculars we saw one sealion on the beach and a yellow eyed penguin , which is the 3rd largest and very rare. In a small hide we saw baby blue penguins but weren't allowed to photo them unless they got frightened which is fair enough. They are the smallest in the world. On the way back we saw two Albatross flying around a lighthouse and lots of other birds including black swans, oystercatchers, ducks and various gulls. A lovely wild life morning. The view from our side of the ship is of huge piles of logs. Normally they would be destined for China but they are just piling up as no one allowed in to take them away. We are feeling that our little ship (300) is the safest place to be. One couple were not allowed to board at Sydney, everyone has been temperature checked and we are all sanitising our hands like crazy so much so my skin is very dry. Everyone feels guilty even doing a little cough to clear your throat so we are drinking lots to compensate for that!!! At least there is plenty of food, wine and of course toilet roll!

Meanwhile back on the ship we continue to do Trivia and have had the Team dinner together in the restaurant which was good fun. We have been to several shows and the latest cast of 6 Brits are very good especially at opera.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb