Milford Sound


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
March 16th 2014
Saved: November 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

MILFORD SOUND ADVENTURE
From Dunedin to Te Anua was highlighted by driving the Southern Scenic Highway. We went from scenic overlooks to lighthouse points where we saw yellow-eyed penguins and sea lions; in some cases, up close and personal. Petrified forest remains that the sea has destroyed and preserved are visible from walkways down cliff areas that have TSUNAMI WARNING signs. Where to go and how to identify sea conditions that are significant leave one wary and alert. Nugget Light, one of the oldest NZ lighthouses (1898) was accessed by a long, very narrow walkway. We've seen many small and famous waterfalls and very dense bush walkways on this section of road.
The Whistling Frog cafe and campground was a nice break as we headed to Curio Bay to hopefully see seals and dolphins. However, none had been seen in four days, perhaps due to the presence of sharks. And the surf boarders continued to challenge the surf. The barrista there sent up to Slope Point to experience the most southern tip of NZ. It has got to be the most remote and difficult road to travel, and I kept thinking that the locals must think that we are all crazy for coming to see what is an 'everyday' sight to them.
We finally got to the Waipapa Lighthouse where we almost lliterally stumbled on a male and female sea lion, sunning on the pathway from the lightouse to the beach. The telephoto lens kept our approach legal and safe. Invercargill, the campground, laundry and respite from the constant buffeting wind, was a welcome stop, as we turned North toward Te Anua to await our coach ride to Milford Sound. We were amazed at the huge, long and well trimmed hedges that appear to be wind breaks.
Our campsite provided us with a spectacular view of the gorgeous Lake Te Anua. Again we have to acknowledge that the shoulder season enables us to have prime sites and experiences at all of these very popular summer venues.
The rugged 2 1/2 hour drive on the alpine highway to Milford Sound was a perfect reason to let the professionals do the coach driving to and from our Milford Sound adventure. His narrative, photo opportunity stops, humorous comments set the tone for a wonderful overnight cruise on a sailboat. We went thru the fjord to the Tasman Sea, experienced kayaking, swimming or a ride in the Zodiac, as we wanted and then anchored in Anita Bay for a lovely dinner and peaceful nights sleep. Although 6:45 am came quickly, the hot breakfast was worth the effort to rise and shine and we then returned through the fjord (sound) to our coach and a wonderful ride back to Te Anua. From there we had 1 1/2 day to boogy to Christchurch to drop off our Campervan and fly to Australia for our next 2 1/2 week adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb