New Zealand - Christchurch to Abel Tasman


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
May 26th 2011
Published: July 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mr and Mrs GoonMr and Mrs GoonMr and Mrs Goon

As close as we got to a dolphine

New Zealand - Part 1



We left Sydney despite a gale force wind which was encouraging us to stay! The flight was 3hrs to Christchurch on Air New Zealand who have a interesting safety video (check it out on You Tube if you have time!). The first sight of New Zealand was the Southern Alps including Mt Cook which was stunning and all covered in snow (bit of false dawn as we would spend the next few weeks looking for snow in vain).

We stayed our first night in a motel in Christchurch, where we didn’t do too much and the city centre was closed, but we did get to see the first State of Origin game on TV so Will was happy enough (apart from the Yorkshire girl working in the local café telling him his accent was generally English and not really Northern – why I oughta!!!!)

We picked up our mean green camping machine and headed over to Akaroa - most of the way in 3rd gear until we figured out the automatic gear box! We went swimming with dolphins the following day although, as it turned out it was more like feeling sick in the middle of the ocean, with no escape looking in vain for a dolphin. The boat was small and we had our full wetsuits on (but it was still a bit chilly so we were almost glad we didn’t get in the water!) but we didn’t see any dolphins! Tory did achieve the feat of not being the first person on the boat to throw up (a close second). The highlight was the warming soup and seafood chowder after our return.

We then drove up over Arthur’s Pass, an amazing drive which wet our appetite for the rest of the trip. Tory managed her first stint behind the wheel grateful for the automatic. Followed by 2 days walking in Abel Tasman National Park, one a rocky scramble over the mountains and the other, a more sedate 4 hour walk along the coast after being dropped off by a ferry.

Guilty Pleasures: Buying a massive bag of gold kiwi’s at the side of the road – New Zealanders don’t do fruit in small numbers!

Travelers Tips: Wellingtons can be best found at The Warehouse (and they are pretty too), they are not sold anywhere else, period.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Place where the ending to the first Narnia film was shotPlace where the ending to the first Narnia film was shot
Place where the ending to the first Narnia film was shot

Tory does her best ice queen impression


15th July 2011
Mr and Mrs Goon

My favourite photo so far
no more detail required
15th July 2011
Jucy Lucy

Eeeeeeeee! Jucy van! Oh to be back there.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb