Trip of Giants - Antarctic Centre


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
July 14th 2010
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

$145 for a family of up to four children. With Shannon off hanging with a friend, the five of us hopped in a Hagglund for a ride "to demonstrate the capabilities". I was expecting a few steep slopes, side angles that sort of thing, and it was but at speed! The driver must have been an ex -V8 racecar driver. Liam wasn't happy at all with the 45 degree slopes up and then fast drops down the other side, going from slow to fast in the drop of a boot. Of course Joseph and Toby loved it, and had another ride later on (still not sure if he's really mine).

The Antarctic Centre was really good. Lots of things to do including the blizzard room where Joseph went in twice to experience -8 degrees with 35k/hr winds that meant the wind chill factor dropped to -18 degrees. He was wearing shorts and still went up and down the ice slide.

Blue penguins were cute. Wonder if they'll ever get Emperor penguins? That would be awesome.

Lots of info, documentary screens, absolutely great movie at the end showing the wonderful scenery of the continent (fifth largest).

Ok got to go: plane to catch.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb