Trip of Giants - Sumner


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
July 12th 2010
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After another leisurely sleep in (Ky again heading out into the maddening cold for exercise), we picked up Gran and Pop for a traipse to Sumner. There the boys hunted through the beach caves and climbed all over the rock while the adults hid out of the brisk wind in the Cafe (where we had very nice coffees).

After a little while, Pop fell asleep and it was decided to go for a walk around the shopping area with Gran. Somehow both Penny and Kylie got lost looking for the kids, so I ended up walking with Gran to the shops. We kept checking back, but no sign of the others and finally after almost finishing the round-the-block there appeared the others chasing after us!

The only comment to offer about shopping in Sumner is: it needs at least a half dozen more art and curio stores to make it an interesting visit.

We returned foot-sore Gran and talkative Pop to their homes, then returned ourselves for a break before Ky, the boys and I drove to Uncle Colin and Anuty Linda's for dinner.

Colin and Linda's house was impressive, with pictures of art hung along the
AnemoniesAnemoniesAnemonies

Liam carefully fed small clams and mussels into the anemonies
walls like a gallery. The boys amused themselves with the cat while waiting for dinner, then David and his son Michael arrived, and Jess and Mark (Linda's children). Dinner was a wonderful lasagna that had bits of silverbeet in it which Joseph carefully placed on the side of his plate. I was amused to see Mark (16) doing the same. The super-discount Pak-n-save bread actually tasted really nice, and its elastic properties came in handy when after cutting the loaf the bits became squashed, so Linda pulled them gently back into shape.

To keep the boys (all four of them) occupied, we put on a DVD and then Colin, Linda Ky and I had coffees and teas and Colin gave me photocopies of more family records.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0969s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb