Tekapo and Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
April 27th 2010
Published: April 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for the delay in blog entries! From Queenstown we caught the bus to Tekapo, via Mount Cook (making the journey much longer!), which is the tallest mountain in New Zealand. It looked quite small from where the bus had dropped us off, but we were apparently still 12km away from it! While we were waiting for the bus we saw the tiniest little rabbits in the world.

Tekapo is a very small village - not even having an atm! It was really nice and quiet though and the best place in New Zealand to see the stars. We heard something about them making the sky above it a world heritage site but we weren't sure how true that was. We went to look at them at night and fortunately stumbled across a star-gazing expert who told us where everything was. It was so so clear - you could see Mars, Saturn and galaxies as well as the Milky Way. You could also see the stars twinkling! Impossible to get pictures of it though, we tried!

The next day we went to Christchurch for a couple of days before our flight. It's supposed to be more English than England - you could see it in some ways (they had loads of river punting boats like Cambridge for example) but it was so much quieter and smaller than anything at home! We went on several walks around the city, through some lovely gardens. Then it was time to fly on to Fiji...


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Mt Cook! Mt Cook!
Mt Cook!

(the whitest one in the middle...)


Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb