13 04 2010


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
April 15th 2010
Published: April 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

13 04 2010

Well we woke up for the last day in Australia in Sydney. Thankfully the chauffeur driven service that Emirates provide made the journey as painless as possible. We were picked up in a large Audi saloon, taken to the departures, given fast passes through the rigmarole of security and ended up in the fabulous lounge, free internet access, free top class food and drinks and attractive ladies who are always helpful. Showers, papers and massage chairs, wonderful and I assume this is how mere mortals travel.!!??

We were whisked on time in a fully reclining seat with wide screen TV and a menu to choose wine and food from to New Zealand. The flight was 2.5 hour but the clock went forward 2 hours as well owing to the time difference. I think we are now as far away from home as possible.

On our arrival again a chauffeur to take us to the Heritage hotel smack in the middle of Christchurch. The first thing you notice was the autumn leaves on the trees and how like England it feels and looks The city was tiny in comparison to the bustle and glitter of Sydney. There was a lovely tram network and quiet roads. It was the first time we actually could hear the New Zealand accent which was different to the Aussie tone. The taxi driver summed it up, we speak with a different sound to the letter E which is often pronounced as an I and the Aussies have a more whining tone to their voices. I agreed on the basis he was a lot bigger than me and it seemed to make sense.

The New Zealand way of life is a lot slower and with a lot less traffic and the country is definitely greener. Like it lots.

The Heritage hotel was opposite the cathedral which we went into and were suitably impressed.

We were surprisingly tired after our not strenuous journey and decided as it was our last night without a restaurant to treat ourselves to a top meal. The choice was undoubtedly lamb. We had a fabulous meal with New Zealand wine and a dessert. Loved it.

Back to the hotel with a double king size bed and sleep soundly.

Off in a camper van tomorrow god help us. Wendy is looking decidedly nervous. Hope her doubts are not justified.





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb