Our South Island Adventure - Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
March 1st 2010
Published: March 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

So the adventure begins very early in the morning in Auckland as we catch the first flight to Christchurch. Well that is the plan anyway as we hear an announcement that says the flight is leaving but there is no guarantee that the plane will land as there is heavy fog at Christchurch airport. That would be an interesting way to start the holiday so I cross my fingers. Thankfully the flight is uneventful though I will highly recommend travelling with Air New Zealand as the service was fantastic and I had a yummy cupcake for breakfast.

It was a half hour bus trip to our motel where we dumped our bags and headed into town to start our day. I am not sure if it was the weather but initial impressions of Christchurch were not that favourable as the main Cathedral Square does not really shout at you and there is no way we were paying so much money to simply get to ride a tram! We went for a city walk as recommended to us by our leaflet 'Central City Walks' which we grabbed from the airport I site as we had time to kill. The highlight was walking through the Botanic gardens and stopping for lunch along Oxford Terrace by the river where I had a massive burger which held me for dinner as well! I was also enamoured with the pastel Spanish architecture on New Regent Street and stopped to take hundreds of pictures! I am afraid we did not end up doing the punting on the River Avon as we had already had a similar experience in the UK and it did not exactly appeal. Actually speaking of the UK the constant choice for British names of places here in the South Island was already becoming apparent.

It was an early night after our early start and we had a long day ahead of us tomorrow as we would be collecting our Camper Van to begin our journey....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb