Chillin’ in Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 11th 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

2/11//2010
Chillin’ in Christchurch

Today we arrived early in Christchurch New Zealand. We had an early tour so grabbed a quick breakfast in the Lido then headed to the lounge to wait for our bus to be called. The tour was called Christchurch and Canterbury. It was raining and very overcast and a bit chilly. The port is actually the crater from a volcano so to get to Christchurch we had to make our way over the mountain and stopped at a lookout area near the top. I’m sure the views are very nice when the weather is clear but not a lot to see this day.

We then headed to Riccarton House which was a farm established in the mid 1800’s by two brothers named Dean from Scotland. The older brother died in a shipwreck returning from getting supplies in Australia. The younger brother John was able to eventually return to Scotland and bring back his love Jane. He died of TB shortly thereafter leaving her with a young son. However, she stayed in Christchurch and lived until almost 90 with many grandchildren and great grandchildren. We had a tour of the house and then a walk thru the “Bush” which here is the only remaining area of original forest. They have it sealed off with fences to keep rats, possums, etc away from the birds and trees.

We then headed across town to Homebush which was another farm owned by the Deans (and still is). We had a demonstration of Sheep shearing and also the use of the sheep dogs before heading into lunch. The lunch included BBQ lamb chops, filet mignon’s, and chicken along with potatoes (no mint today) and salads. Dessert included a warm apple crumble, traditional cream cake, and assorted small tarts. All very good. After lunch we had a tour of the gardens which were extensive. At both houses they had brought in trees from all over the world (including a Calif Redwood and a Sequoia).

It was then time to head to the Antarctic Center where we given coats and shoe covers before entering the Antarctic chamber to experience the snow and cold of an Antarctic summer. They also had some Little Blue penguins that are injured and can’t be returned to the wild.

Our last stop was at the Arts Center which is an old college now turned into galleries and shops. There was also a very nice water fountain the gardens near there.

It was finally time to head back to the ship and then up to dinner. We both had chicken (mine grilled John’s was stuffed with goat cheese and spinach). There was no show so we spent some time in the casino. John won $42 at BlackJack and I won $40 on the Movie Bonus machine. So not a bad night.

Tomorrow we’re in Picton but have a late ½ tour.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb